Yoghurt making

treens2, Mar 13, 4:16am
Thinking of making my own,do I need a yoghurt maker,what actually do they do.Also advice please is it cost effective,hows it taste,what do I need to buy re making product.

lilyfield, Mar 13, 4:32am
you need a source of contant even heat. Not necessarely a yoghurt maker tho they are convinient. I used to have mine setting in bed under the duvet with the electric blanket on. Until the day I jumped on top of it.
You also need a starter. or use the instant sachets from the supermarket(instructons on the back)
Whether you like this or not is for you to try out. I wonly like unsweetened plain joghurt foe example.
my way of making it ,works for me, is using 120grams skinmilkpower mixed with 2 tabsp of greek style instant yoghurt powder , 1 litre of lukewarm water and leave in maker overnight. Works out at $1.45 for a kilo of yoghurt plus the minimal power charge. So a lot cheaper.,

you can buy joghurt maker really cheap in second hand shops, the thermos ones. I prefer my electric one, but own both.
As for taste-well I like it well above any commercial product

nauru, Mar 13, 7:56am
Lilyfield, I really like the pkt Greek yoghurt.Just wondering if there is any difference in taste with your finished yoghurtand that made in the usual way using the whole pkt of yoghurt powder.

lilyfield, Mar 13, 8:47am
no- I can hardly taste a difference. Worth the try for you for the savings

nauru, Mar 13, 10:04am
Thanks Lilyfield, I will give it a go with my next batch, I've made a note of your recipe in my book.Any saving is good as those pkts of powder have gone up in price dramatically lately.

vinee, Mar 13, 6:08pm
I used 10% old yoghurt with milk. ie 900ml milk (warmed) + 100ml old yoghurt. It's quite runny though and by the time I strained it to the consistency I liked, I had about half that. So sachets (on special) worked out cheaper. I understand milk powder makes it thicker, but it's another cost, so you'd just have to work it out.

04redsox, Mar 13, 7:14pm
I have made mine in a regular thermos flask to keep the heat constant.

angel404, Mar 13, 7:53pm
I use 1 litre of milk with 1/2tsp of yoghurt from a previous batch. Comes out thick as. Best plain yoghurt ive tasted. Even my fussy 5yo eats it plain. I get my milk from the vat so it costs me $1.50 per litre to make.

uli, Mar 13, 10:58pm
You can add a bit of gelatine to the warm milk to make it more solid if you do not want to use extra milk powder or strain it.

If you do that you would have to run a separate batch without gelatine though to have more starter yoghurt.

The Greek easyyo packs are now $3.50 for a kilo of yoghurt. Compared to a good Greek yoghurt in the supermarket it is still less than half price.

Our cheapest one up here would be $6.90. The better ones $6 for 500g.

kay141, Mar 14, 1:59am
I'd stock up if I could get them for that price. Here they are nearly $5, normal price and usually around $4.25 on special. We very seldom seem to get any unsweetened mixes on special, it is usually only the flavoured, sweetened ones.

angel404, Mar 14, 2:14am
Here they are on special for 2.99 or 3.25 but
It's still cheaper for me to make my own.

lilyfield, Mar 14, 2:36am
at the most a $1,50 to make my own with milkpowder and greek yoghurt where one packet lasts for 8 batches. As said before

uli, Mar 14, 3:36am
I have used the ones from Christchurch, however they are now 50cents dearer as the easiyo ones and I can just buy a few when I need them here from my supermarket rather than have 10 packs sitting around.

The drawback of those packs is of course that the milk powder is homogenised and pasteurized. So if you can get a reliable source of raw milk that would be much healthier!