Can agar be used to thicken yoghurt?

infinityjrc, Dec 19, 5:24am
Has anyone tried this, and when would you add to the mixture?

uli, Dec 19, 6:23am
I would rather drain some of the whey off - or buy Greek style yoghurt straight away if I wanted it thicker - can't see a jelly like yoghurt as being nice to eat.

frances1266, Dec 19, 7:05pm
Possibly agar flakes would work.Agar needs to be brought to the boil and simmered briefly and it cools down and thickens quite quickly.If you amalgamated the agar and yoghurt at the right time it might be ok.
I wonder if you put it in a food processor briefly to blend agar mix and yoghurt and if it sets too firmly beat with electric mixer.Just my thoughts, dont know if it would work or not.
What do you want it for?

prawn_whiskas, Dec 19, 11:14pm
I wouldn't bother, I'd drain the whey off also, a few hours in some cheese cloth suspended over a bowl in the fridge will thicken it up nicely. I guess it depends what you have planned for the yogurt however.Jellyfied yogurt would be a bit odd texture wise I think.

frances1266, Dec 20, 2:05am
Drained yoghurt in cheesecloth makes a cream cheese sub which is v. good but not really like yoghurt.

prawn_whiskas, Dec 20, 2:30am
It does that yes.. after many hours (around 6-12) a FEW hours would result in a thicker yogurt (think Greek)

uli, Nov 22, 1:18pm
As I said above - why not buy Greek yoghurt in the first place if you want a thick yoghurt? Much easier than trying to thicken ordinary yoghurt (which most likely is already thickened with gelatine).