** How do you make a perfect pav? **

woody16, Feb 10, 9:31am
Please could you tell me the secret to making a perfect pav.

Thanks ;)

shalema, Feb 10, 9:39am
No eggs for starters.I use coconut balls in place of eggs.

woody16, Feb 10, 9:41am
No eggs! Serious!
Coconut balls! Where do you buy those!

shalema, Feb 10, 9:45am
I make my own Woody16.My aunt sends coconuts over from Malaysia.

korbo, Feb 10, 9:45pm
I have no idea what the heck coconut balls are.

A few hints. take your eggs out of the fridge and leave on bench overnight(if you keep them in fridge).
Beat the egg whites stiff before putting in the sugar.
Make sure there is absolutly no trace of yolk in bowl.
oven at 120 for 1 hr, then turn off and leave until cold.
mmm, just follow your recipe. or check out for last year on here.
good luck.
coconut balls, pray tell me what you are.

cookessentials, Feb 10, 9:50pm
I make an old Margaret Fulton recipe and have done so for years. I only ever use caster sugar as it incorporates quickly. I use malt vinegar and i bake it in a springform tin. It turns out crispy on the utside with a nice firm marshmallow centre.

shalema, Feb 10, 10:15pm
lol I thought lots of folk knew about coconut balls!

wendalls, Feb 11, 12:24am
Make sure your bowl is spotlessly clean. Plastic bowls retain fats so glass is best. Check that your sugar is dissolved by rubbing a bit of the beaten whites between your fingers. Should not be gritty. My little beater took me half an hour with 6 egg whites to get to this stage. Apparently if it isnt dissolved you get little pools of sugar syrup oozing from your pav.

patsprat, Feb 11, 3:08am
Cookessentials, do you line the sides of the tin with baking paper!haven't tried the tin method but didn't think it would be crisp - will try it at once!

whiskey13, Feb 11, 11:41am
My sister works on a turkey farm and she gives us double yolkers. 2 turkey eggs were enough to make 6 mini pavs for Christmas day pudding. Turkey eggs are the best for making pavs.