Deep fryer Yuck.

anne1955, Jan 16, 6:34am
Is it just me!I only use it maybe every 4 mths if that, tonight I felt like a fry up using the deep fryer for a celection of things.It hasn't been out for a few months.I had brought new oil for it.which is a big cost but fine.so decided to give it a 'anal' clean.been doing it for nearly two hours.Is it really worth the effort!Is/are they better when used often!I know unhealthy.but I make yummy batters love making homemade somas'sAnd I do drain things well and use paper towels for that prior to using.My question really is seeing I don't use it very often should I empty it each time after use!Which seems like a hassile (sp) sell it while it is pristine and buy an old fashion chip basket like old days.and don't say give away frying I don't do it very often it's a semi treat.and more often than not if it's chips or the likes oven bake.but I like having the option.
It's still not as I want it and see another hours work.and no I am not dirty or the likes fact as above more clean to the 'anal' cleaner :)How do other clean freaks cope with them!
I am almost sure it is mind over matter :) that if I didn't have one.I'd have withdrawls haha but as I said first time in months it's been out and I knew in this weather it would need oil replacing.Just seems I need to do it each time I use it which is a waste.would I be better using chefade or something like that that actually sets!It is kept in a dark cool spot, which is probably 3/4 the reson why I don't use it.Ideas pleaseThanks Anne

babytears, Jan 16, 7:13am
Yip, go with fri gold or chef add. Although they have expiry dates, I'm sure it would last a bit longer than oil as you don't use it that often

fordingbridge, Jan 16, 7:25am
We keep our fryer outside , but under cover, it is what gets left behind in the oil that goes off. Perhaps it would be better to use and cool the oil then use for everyday use after filtering first. Less wasteful if you only deep fry very occasionally.

kuaka, Jan 16, 7:49am
What make of deep fryer is it!I used to have a Kambrook "cool touch" which I used probably once every 10 days.It was great till it died - still under warranty.I returned it and it was replaced with a hideous thing, oblong stainless steel with the element in the oil, and the electronics bizzo in a big chunky thing at the rear of the thing.Handles on the side making it unbalanced to lift (because the weight is at the rear) and a lid which lifts off completely rather than being hinged, so when you remove the lid you have to find somewhere to put it down.You have to flip it over to put it down, otherwise it makes a mess on the bench, then when you want to put it back on then handle is underneath it.Grrrr.Add to that it takes 1.3 litres of oil to barely cover the element, and then there is a gap between the element and the bottom of the basket and then you need more oil in the basket to be able to cook.Very wasteful.I hate it.I am about to write and tell them what I think about it.Also I've only used it half a dozen times and already the writing (gives the temp for different foods) on the chunky thing at the rear is already wearing off and I've only wiped it gently after using it.It's rubbish.Designed by "designers" not cooks!

anne1955, Jan 16, 7:50am
Thanks people just got it in a state I will use it.yes totally aware it's probably me being a clean freak.:) but why do such things have such traps for yuck!The fancy liitle edging etc. I wouldn't know how many toothpicks tonight to try and get things/bits of nothing really out of them, and they don't even effect/affect the inside and cooking.now 8.36 and I haven't eaten yet and it's called 'fast food'! lol
I live in a tiny unit so having an outside to keep it s a bit hard, where it is, is a cool part of the place and as close as outside as I can probably get.And kneew this time it has probably sat for a long time.can't remember if I have used it since I moved here.and been here just over 7mths think I might have done the oil change when I moved and then only used it the once.So knew it should have oil refreshed. but is a major cost on a benefit.Wondered if I can fill it up to the oil level with water and heat it!/
Would make an easier clean.But I think the next time I fill it it will be a solid like chefade, and will decant it after the next use.yes will cook tea with it.after all this work have built myself up to what I want.I do know that making my own batters etc makes it have more 'stuff' drop to bottom.I was laughing thinking about a few years ago when sister turned up at mine and asked what I was making I said sommosa's (sp) getting tired :) and she said I just buy them!Figures 2 in family working.and I make a lot from time to time as everyone I know loves mine and have a feed freeze a few and give the rest away they are cheap eating but time consuming to make as I make my own pastry as well.Fact will make some soon to use this oil and take them like I do with lots of things I make as a treat to our local hospice, they love my cooking.if I could find someone to supply me with fruit and vegies would do it more often.My way of giving back to society. And I love cooking so much. and yes would work in such but without a 167 and the likes can't even get a job making sandwiches.:(And although my health doesn't handle work I am trained for any loner do you think WINZ wiill pay the needed 160.00 or there abouts.your joking.over skilled no need for more training. so narrow.in what they will and won't do.But that's another story.

Fryer cleaned and will be used for tea and some cooking for others prior to me thinking about giving it away and finding a chip basket.like old days :)

anne1955, Jan 16, 7:52am
It's a breville works a treat but I don't use it enough to make it eccomical enough.And near 3 hrs clean tonight.well I ask myself :)

uli, Jan 16, 7:59am
Why don't you simply use a pot on the stove!

Then when you are done filter the fat or oil and keep it in the fridge, clean the pot and you are done.

kuaka, Jan 16, 8:34am
I have cleaned mine ready to sell - or give to someone I don't like!I have already bought a deep fryer to use on the gas hob.So much easier to use, even the basket is easier to clean as it is more like wire strips so the oil drips off it more easily than the one with the pesky badly designed Kambrook which is like criss-cross stuff and up at the top edges the criss-cross gets all squeezed up so you can't even wash it easily.All the gunk just accumulates.If you try to scrub it the bristles on the brush just get caught.Grrrr!

gilligee, Jan 16, 9:37am
I did not know that people deep fried these days.

anne1955, Jan 16, 6:07pm
Well over three hours to clean it and for 2 pre made frozen sping rolls I must have been made hahaI;ll do the samosa's and then it's on it way to deepfryer heaven :)

lythande1, Jan 16, 6:13pm
I have one that is just a pot with cord type of fryer. I use mine rarely too, and use fresh oil every time.

uli, Jan 16, 10:37pm
Anne you can simply fry those spring rolls and samosas in a deep fry pan with a higher level of oil. Then filter the oil and use it once or twice more.