Lamb on a spit

jasey, Jan 5, 2:51am
Please need a nice basting recipe thinking something with garlic and rosemary but not sure on what other ingreds to add or how much. Any ideas please

melford, Jan 5, 4:37am
I did one and just brushed it with olive oil. Make slits and add garlic and rosemary if you wish.I spit roasted it all burners on low for 2 - 1/2 hours - was delish!

rainrain1, Jan 5, 5:44am
I just watch Ainslee the chef on telly cook one of those.he butterflied a lamb leg, poked a clove and rosemary in same hole all over, sprinkled with sherry, then a lemon and lime flavoured oil, (all this on both sides) seasoned it. BBQ for 20minutes both sides, then rest for 10 minutes before cutting

rainrain1, Jan 5, 5:44am
I just watched Ainslee the chef on telly cook one of those.he butterflied a lamb leg, poked a clove and rosemary in same hole all over, sprinkled with sherry, then a lemon and lime flavoured oil, (all this on both sides) seasoned it. BBQ for 20minutes both sides, then rest for 10 minutes before cutting

dreamers, Jan 5, 7:10am
Our favorite we have done
http://www.faliraki-info.com/susie/greek-recipes/meat/arni-souvlas.htm
It uses basil branches for basting, divine.

nik12, Jan 5, 12:01pm
Was that whole lamb!We're doing one for a fundraiser and can't decide how long it will take to cook!. Selling as sammies :-)

rainrain1, Jan 5, 6:25pm
Of course your recipe is for whole lamb on the spit and i posted a BBQ recipe.Sorry I didn't read your spit bit properly silly me

creeky1, Jan 5, 10:18pm
get your butcher to bone it out and roll it. will cook much more evenly.

melford, Jan 5, 10:23pm
No, it was only for a boned leg of lamb. I have no idea what times to do for a whole lamb.As another poster suggested I would ask the butcherfor advice and possible get him to bone it out. I would imagine it would take at least 4 - 6 hours

beaker59, Jan 5, 10:31pm
Went to a birthday party yesterday they had a lamb on a spit quite a large lamb rumoured to be more like a hogget. Anyway it was on the spit for 2.5 hours then rested for half an hour it was very nice no rare meat spotted.

jasey, Jan 5, 11:22pm
Thankyou all your input is very helpful mmmm roll on saturday. Butcher is takin bone out and spliting into two halfs we have a double spit so hopefully i dont over cook it