Perserving with AGEE jars & lids

darlingmole, Jan 2, 4:54am
My cousin has given me some of my great aunties old agee perserving jars (minus the lids).Normally I recycle old jam/maynaise/pickle jars do the "pop" test as the lids are metal and suck down.Are the agee lids the same!I'm sure I've seen them at PaknSave but remember what they look like.A friend told me her mother uses a wax sealent with them!All and any ideas most welcome considering it's THAT time of the year again!

darlingmole, Jan 2, 4:54am
x1
My cousin has given me some of my great aunties old agee perserving jars (minus the lids).Normally I recycle old jam/maynaise/pickle jars and do the "pop" test as the lids are metal and suck down.Are the agee lids the same!I'm sure I've seen them at PaknSave but can't remember what they look like.A friend told me her mother uses wax to seal them!All and any ideas most welcome considering it's THAT time of the year again!

nanasee1, Jan 2, 5:02am
My older Agee jars fit the same screws and lids available in supermarkets now. Wax is used for pickles/chutneys etc that aren't preserved by the 'pop' lids and expected to have an extendedholding time.

darlingmole, Jan 2, 5:09am
no idea how to even wax seal . so if I put the lids in the oven with the jars will the pop thing still work! (or will they go off!) many thanks for your reply nanasee1

arabelle, Jan 2, 5:23am
About 1980 they brought out the new sizing in jar/and seal rings. so you would need to check whether old or new jars [check with neighbour, old rings yellow and new ones green.
Ive never done the wax sealing. but readconflicting instructions regarding using commercial jar lids for a second time.and whether they are safe to do in the oven dry method type thing.
It all getsvery scientific and confuzzling. I had started freezing everything but will run out of room this year, so back to bottling.
I usually do the overflow method [as done by my mother,] if it doesnt take then use within a week and store in fridge or reboil up.
Was put off the oven bath method as my aunt managed toexplode the bottles and get facial burns. no need to go to a skin clinic for years it certainly went back to baby bum look ;)

nanasee1, Jan 2, 5:24am
The screw bands can go in the oven. The 'pop' seal lids are covered with boiling waterand boiled for 10 minutes - don't put them in the oven. When the seals have boiled I lay them on a clean linen (not towelling) tea towel until I am ready to use them. To preserve successfully you need to be very aware of hygiene all the way through the process. I boil my tongs and other utensils with the lids. Be sure to check there are no 'spills' around the rims of the jars or you won't get a seal. Nothing as satisfying as the 'pop' of the jars sealing.

thewomble1, Jan 2, 12:20pm
Just melt some wax and pour over the chutney etc in the jar and let it set. Chutney etc has to be cold

darlingmole, Jan 3, 2:58am
hmmm~!very interesting feed back so thanks very much everyone.Yes, have done the boil bath thing and had the same result (and a helluva mess to clean up after it all exploded!) thank you everyone

annies3, Jan 30, 8:45pm
Can I get the wax from supermarket ! and will it seal the picalily which doesnt get boiled but has vinegar, like pickled onions I imagine, they dont need sealed do they !

samsnan, Jan 31, 12:54am
annie3 surely your piccallilli would be cooked and boiled otherwise it would not seal. Pickled onions are different.

gilligee, Jan 31, 4:44am
I use the overflow method but never boil the lids and screw bands. Fill jars with cooked fruit, fill up the last centimetre with boiling water, place lid on then screw the ring on. Occasionally one does not seal but that can be redone or frozen.

lazfill, Jan 31, 5:11am
An Agee jar requires a "Perfit Seal" & screw band. You need to fit the bands to the jars first as there is 2 designs of Agee Jars & you need the correct band for each (it's all to do with the screw thread). They both use the same seal. The Perfit Seals come in packets of 12, not cheap at around $5-$6 per pkt. They are usually found near "sugar" in the Supermarket. You would sterilize the seals in boiling water. There is no need to sterilize the bands & they do not come into contact with the food. Always run your finger around the rim of your jars first to ensure no chips/nics or they wont seal. I boil my jars as I have lost too many in the oven from cracking when I went to fill them. Good luck & happy preserving. I'm off to bottles 30kgs of Beetroot

uli, Jan 31, 5:30am
I cold pack any preserves (currently plums) then put them into my Agee preserver and boil them for 30 to 60 minutes (depending what it is) and then get the jars out and cool them. Never fail method.