Freezing Left Over Ham

heulog1, Jan 2, 12:22am
Having just learnt that ham can actually be frozen - can I just wrap it tightly in cling film or is there anything else I need to do to it first!

kay141, Jan 2, 12:26am
I find it goes watery when frozen. I made a big batch of macaroni cheese, added the last of the ham, chopped up and then froze it it meal size portions.

uli, Jan 2, 12:34am
Never use cling film for freezing - it will get freezer burn.
Use a heavy plastic bag for freezing.

Also think ahead what you want to use it for later.
Then freeze accordingly - cut into cubes or slices or steaks or one big piece.

It only gets watery if you do not shock freeze. I freeze at minus 30 degrees C after having the piece cooled down in the fridge to 4 degrees first. Never is anything watery that I thaw out.

lythande1, Jan 2, 1:25am
Wrap in cling film by all means.
Then place it in a plastic bag or container and suck the air out. You don't need fancy gadgets, small piece of hose or pipe will do.
Then freeze.

whitehead., Jan 3, 4:21am
i used to freeze it in freezer bags and use it for the next 3 months for lunches

uli, Jan 3, 5:09am
You "used to" . what do you do now!

ace441, Jan 3, 6:59am
yes, it does go watery so I chop it all up, bag it into individual servings and use it for muffins, vegie fritters, quiches etc.

uli, Jan 3, 8:57pm
Well mine is not watery and I have a whole boar in slices in my freezer right now. Maybe the COMMERCIAL ham goes watery but my own kunes never do. Don't forget to sell water as meat (or bread) has a long tradition LOL :)

kay141, Jan 3, 9:26pm
You also stated you are freezing it at minus 30 dgrees C which is the temperature of a blast freezer not a normal household one. I have found even home killed and curedgoes watery when frozen at household temperatures.

gardie, Jan 3, 9:43pm
I sliced up our remaining ham and popped it into freezer bags in small amounts.Has defrosted fine - not watery at all.Processed ham does tend to become watery - I find a thin layer of ice forms between each slice.

kiwitrish, Jan 3, 9:52pm
Don't forget tofreeze the ham bone as well.Great for pea and ham soup.

uli, Jan 3, 10:39pm
I am not sure what a "household temperature" is - but my freezer goes down to minus 35 if I push it - and for freezing fresh meat I DO push it!

Why would I want an inferior watery product if I can have an excellent one!

This my household freezer here:
http://www.elcold.com/GB/Products/Low%20Energy%20Chest%20Freezers/XLE%20%28Energy%20class%20A%20plus%29/Sizes%20and%20Technical%20Data.aspx but of course they have commercial ones as well - in case you want to go really low:
http://www.elcold.com/GB/Products/%28x30x%2935%C2%B0C%20%28x30x%2945%C2%B0C%20%28x30x%2960%C2%B0C%20%28x30x%2985%C2%B0C%20Chest%20Freezers.aspx

Good luck with your freezing experiments!

uli, Jan 3, 10:40pm
Because processed meats use phosphate to bind water - as I said above selling water at meat or bread prices is money well made :)