anzac biscuits!! does anybody else have this

Page 2 / 2
spotswood, Apr 25, 4:07am
Just made some from the recipe in the latest Womans Day magazine.Turned out great.It had coconut in too but the mix wasn't dry or crumbly.So many recipes have slightly different measurement combinations ,its trial and error to get the one you like......then you keep that recipe!!

kinna54, Apr 25, 8:06am
gosh I haven't made them for ages, they usually tend to spread a lot. My recipe is in the old edmonds version. I used to have to watch them like a hawk as they used to run andspread and burn quick.

elliehen, Apr 25, 9:42am
Sunflower seeds are a nice addition.

ellie04, Apr 25, 9:44am
ANZAC BISCUITS - these are great and a meal in themselves!
Courtesy of Annabelle White (original recipe from Pauline McKinlay at Everyday Gourmet in Dunedin – she dips them in chocolate post baking!)
INGREDIENTS
2 cups rolled oats
2 cups coconut
90g or 2/3 cup dried peaches, finely sliced
90g or 2/3 cup dried apricots, finely sliced
½ cup raisins
2 cups flour
1 cup raw sugar
¾ cup lightly toasted sunflower seeds
Add a handful Nestle’s chocolate bits if you wish
285g butter
2/3 cup golden syrup
2 tsp baking soda
4 Tbsp boiling water
METHOD
1. Mix all the dry ingredients in a large roasting pan. It’s a messy mix so allow plenty of room. Melt the butter and the golden syrup together till just boiling.
2. Blend the soda with the boiling water. Stir to dissolve.
3. Remove the butter from the heat, add the soda and water mix and blend into the dry ingredients. Mix really well – a big sturdy wooden spoon is the trick here.
4. Squeeze, push and pull dough in your hand so you achieve an even texture. Remember to compress the dough so an even biscuit will be produced that will not crack or crumble when baking.
5. Put 7.5cm biscuits on ungreased trays and bake at 180degC for 20 minutes. If you have a fan bake oven, cook several trays at once and reduce your cooking time slightly.
Cooking Tip: For an extra crunchy result – turn off the oven and leave to cool in the oven for a few extra minutes.

harrislucinda, Apr 25, 10:11am
i think when you startadding fruitasabovethey arenot thetrueanzac biscuit

ellie04, Apr 25, 8:20pm
They may not be a true anzac biscuits, but they make a nice variation.

maynard9, Apr 25, 9:20pm
I agree - nice to have the choice - traditional or spreading your wings.Thanks for sharing this one.I plan to make it this week for my son's flat.They are great guinea pigs.

elliehen, Apr 25, 11:03pm
There's still a bit of dispute among social historians about when the first Anzac biscuit appeared and what it was called.I like to think that it can evolve.

bellaclare, Apr 25, 11:19pm
problem! .after adding golden syrup and butter baking soda and water mixture is still dry! everytime i use this recipe the same thing,i add extra golden syrup etc any ideas pls .

bellaclare, Apr 25, 11:35pm
hi there the recipe i use is CHELSEA . I MAKE SURE I STICK TO THE RECIPE AND STILL NO LUCK .

spotswood, Apr 26, 4:07am
Just made some from the recipe in the latest Womans Day magazine.Turned out great.It had coconut in too but the mix wasn't dry or crumbly.So many recipes have slightly different measurement combinations ,its trial and error to get the one you like.then you keep that recipe!

kinna54, Apr 26, 8:06am
gosh I haven't made them for ages, they usually tend to spread a lot. My recipe is in the old edmonds version. I used to have to watch them like a hawk as they used to run andspread and burn quick.

bev00, Apr 26, 10:03am
Lotsa variations to try here .

maynard9, Apr 26, 9:20pm
I agree - nice to have the choice - traditional or spreading your wings.Thanks for sharing this one.I plan to make it this week for my son's flat.They are great guinea pigs.

elliehen, Apr 26, 11:03pm
There's still a bit of dispute among social historians about when the first Anzac biscuit appeared and what it was called.I like to think that it can evolve.From an Australian website:
"The ingredients they used were: rolled oats, sugar, plain flour, coconut, butter, golden syrup or treacle, bi-carbonate of soda and boiling water. All these items did not readily spoil. At first the biscuits were called Soldiers’ Biscuits, but after the landing on Gallipoli, they were renamed ANZAC Biscuits.
A point of interest is the lack of eggs to bind the ANZAC biscuit mixture together. Because of the war, many of the poultry farmers had joined the services, thus, eggs were scarce."

macandrosie, Apr 30, 10:53pm
You are welcome to try my recipe have used it for many years & it works every time! Good luck1
Anzac Biscuits

2 cups flour
2 cups rolled oats
2tspbakingpowder250 gr butter
2 cups coconut
2 tabs golden syrup
2 cups sugar
4 tabs hot water
1 tsp baking soda
Blend together dry ingredients except b.s.Dissolve soda in water
& add to dry ingreds.Melt butter & syrup then add. Roll into dessertspoon size balls, press with a fork.Bake at
180°C for 10-15 mins.

natalie9, May 1, 12:49am
I find the Edmonds recipe works perfect. I had a previous recipe that did that.

bel55, May 1, 3:46am
I made the 'Fresh in the Kitchen' receipe for Anzac biscuits, pretty much the same as 'macandrosie's one, but has vanilla essence as well, for that receipe 2 tsps. It is quitw a wet mixture. I put 1/4 cup scoopsful on the baking tray, squashed them down after a while, and I ended up with 4-5 inch cookies. With another batch I added half a cup of cranberries, and called them Cranzac Cookies! YUM!

harrislucinda, May 1, 4:20am
i haveoverwrittentheedmondson 3ingredthiscameoutbetter.1/2cup offlour1/2cupsugar1cup coconut1cupoats100grmbutter3tlbsp golden syrup1/2 tspbaking soda2tlbspboiling then followmethodforbaking

bel55, May 1, 4:20am
I made the 'Fresh in the Kitchen' receipe for Anzac biscuits, pretty much the same as 'macandrosie's one, but has vanilla essence as well, for that receipe 2 tsps. It is quite a wet mixture. I put 1/4 cup scoopsful on the baking tray, squashed them down after a while, and I ended up with 4-5 inch cookies. With another batch I added half a cup of cranberries, and called them Cranzac Cookies! YUM!