Spice mixture belgian/dutch style for biscuits

infinityjrc, May 15, 12:53am
Hi I am looking for a spice mixture that gives a really nice full flavour of spices, the usual belgian biscuit type recipes are not sort of spicy enough, looking for a mix i can add to biscuits and loaves that is always good and spicy without being overpowering.

elliehen, May 15, 12:54am
Cassia :)

daleaway, May 15, 1:38am
I got this from a speculaas recipe on a Dutch website. Sounds about right to me:
8 parts cinnamon
2 parts nutmeg
2 parts ground cloves
1 part white pepper
1 part ground ginger
1 part cardamom

alebix, May 15, 2:14am
Pepper? really? I love those biscuits. . i never thought pepper would be in it. .

greg.n.michelle, May 16, 8:36am
I buy my dutch spice from the dutch shop in Wellington

lx4000, Dec 19, 12:34am
the spice mix is called speculaas spices.

I've got to go and buy some to try out some dutch recipes I have just been given to try:)

(barloo)

greerg, Dec 19, 3:56am
Cookessentials posted this earlier in the year and I have used it several times.It's very good.

"These are my all time favourites and i use the traditional "windmill mould" for mine
SPECULAAS
250g butter
1½ cups brown sugar
5 tsp spice mix (see below)
4 tsp baking powder (yes, 4!)
3 cups flour
1 egg white

Spice mix
This will make more spice than you need for the speculaas recipe. It can be stored in an airtight container for later use.

3 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp ground cloves
½ tsp ground white pepper
2 tsp ginger
2 tsp cardamom

Cream the butter and sugar until pale
yellow.

Add spices and baking powder. Mix in flour to form a firm dough. Knead till smooth and firm, then roll out to a 4mm thickness and cut into biscuit shapes or use a traditional speculaas biscuit ‘press’.

Brush with egg white mixed with a little water and bake at 180ºC for 12 minutes."

cookessentials (1130 )1

geldof, Dec 19, 4:34am
Binn Inn now also stock Dutch spices.

lx4000, Dec 23, 5:33am
I went to our local dutch shop and bought a jar of Specerijenmix Koek en Speculaas which has :- cinnamon, coriander, nutmeg, cloves, ginger, cardamon and orange peel in it.

I`m sure there are many different mixes out there for this.

(barloo)

infinityjrc, May 15, 12:53am
Hi I am looking for a spice mixture that gives a really nice full flavour of spices, the usual belgian biscuit type recipes are not sort of spicy enough, looking for a mix i can add to biscuits and loaves that is always good and spicy without being overpowering.

daleaway, May 15, 1:38am
I got this from a speculaas recipe on a Dutch website. Sounds about right to me:
8 parts cinnamon
2 parts nutmeg
2 parts ground cloves
1 part white pepper
1 part ground ginger
1 part cardamom

alebix, May 15, 2:14am
Pepper! really! I love those biscuits. i never thought pepper would be in it.