Zucchini fritters

Page 2 / 2
davidt4, Dec 30, 8:49am
We managed to donate several enormous examples to our neighbours to try out on their pet rabbits.Fingers crossed that the rabbits enjoy them.

kylie_m, Dec 30, 8:51am
Add feta and a heap of fresh mint.

toadfish, Dec 30, 8:53am
I have had great success with my first ever Zuchinnis - I planted a yellow and a green and we have been having them on the BBQ a couple of times a week.I slice them on the angle, lightly spray with rice bran and cover them with cracked pepper.mmm delicious.
I have just googled around and found the following recipes that I will try one day soon.

toadfish, Dec 30, 8:54am
Zucchini pesto fritters
from The Best of Annabel Langbein use four medium zucchinis and taste delicious.

Ingredients
1.5c self-raising flour
3 eggs
1t salt
freshly ground pepper
3/4c soda water
4 grated zucchinis/courgettes
1/3c parmesan cheese
2T basil pesto

Method
1. Mix together flour, eggs, salt, pepper and soda water until smooth.
2. Stir in grated zucchinis, Parmesan and basil pesto.
3. Stand for 10 minutes.
4. Cook spoonfuls in 1/2cm hot oil in a pan over medium heat until golden on each side.
5. Serve with salsa and sliced avocado.

Makes about 2 dozen.

toadfish, Dec 30, 8:55am
ZUCCHINI, FETA AND MINT FRITTERS

From the Free Range Cook book by Annabel Langbein

1 1/2 cups plain flour
3 tsp baking powder
3 eggs
1 cup soda water or water, chilled
1 tsp salt
ground black pepper
1/2 cup finely chopped basil
finely grated zest of 1 lemon
2 medium zucchini grated (about 300 g)
1 tbsp lemon juice, 2 tbsp finely chopped spring onions (green party only)
1/4 cup chopped mint leaves
150 g finely crumbled feta
2-3 tbsp neutral oil or spray oil

To make the fritter base batter, combine the flour, baking powder, eggs, soda water or water, salt and pepper in a mixing bowl , beating to make a smooth batter.Cover and stand for 15 minutes or for up to 4 hours in the fridge.The base batter can be flavored with different ingredients (ie zucchini/mint/feta, Corn fritters, herb fritters with smoked salmon etc).Stir chopped herbs and lemon zest into the batter.

Grate 2 medium zucchini onto a clean teatowel, gather up and twist to squeeze out the moisture.Place zucchini in abowl and stir in finely grated lemon zest, 1 tbsp lemon juice, 2tbsp finely chopped spring onions, 1/4 cup finely chopped mint, and 150 g finely crumbled feta.Stir into the rested fritter batter.

Heat a heavy frypan over medium heat and coat or lightly spray with oil.Drop small spoonfuls of mixture into the hot pan and cook until bubbles form in the mixture, then turn to cook the other side.Fritters are cooked when they bounce back when pressed gently.Lightly re-oil pan in between batches.

toadfish, Dec 30, 8:55am
Tuscan Zucchini Soup

1kg small green zucchini
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
30-40 basil leaves, chopped
1 tsp salt
freshly ground black pepper
4 cups chicken or vegetable stock
1 tbsp chopped Italian parsley
50g parmesan, finely grated

Cut zucchini lengthways into quarters then into 1cm dice. Heat oil in a heavy-based saucepan. Add zucchini, garlic, basil, salt and pepper. Cook over low heat for 10 minutes or until zucchini has softened. Remove 1/3 cup zucchini and reserve for garnishing soup. Add stock to remaining zucchini and simmer over medium heat for 8 minutes or until zucchini is soft and transparent. Purée in batches in a food processor until smooth then return to saucepan. Adjust seasoning to taste. If not serving at once, cool, cover and chill. To serve, stir in parsley and parmesan and bring to just below a simmer. Ladle into 6 warm bowls and top with a spoonful of reserved zucchini. Serve immediately

toadfish, Dec 30, 8:56am
Zucchini fritters with tomato & feta salsa

3 medium zucchini, grated
½ red onion, peeled and finely chopped
1 large red chilli, finely chopped
1 tsp cumin seeds
125g self-raising flour
2 large eggs
4 Tbsp olive oil, for frying
125g cherry tomatoes, quartered
100g feta, cubed
handful fresh mint leaves
juice of ½ a lemon

Mix the zucchini, onion, chilli, cumin, flour and eggs together and season to taste.
Heat 1 Tbsp oil in a non-stick frying pan and drop in heaped tablespoons of batter. Cook, in batches, for 2-3 minutes each side, or until golden and cooked through.
Mix tomatoes, feta, mint and lemon juice and serve on top of the warm fritters.

roshu, Dec 30, 6:51pm
I agree with #2 - Add feta and chilli for sure.

liamjosh, Dec 30, 9:56pm
Made these last night for first time and had same issue as OP, were kind of bland.Still have helps of zucchini left so will try again with some of these suggestions.

gardie, Dec 31, 3:58am
I personally think that mint spoils the taste of all veges with the exception of potatoes.Zucchini fritters can also have grated carrots added to them, diced onions, capsicum - serve with sweet chilli sauce.

uli, Dec 31, 4:18am
It certainly spoils the taste of lovely newly dug potatoes - they taste like mint and not like new potatoes with butter and salt!

rainrain1, Dec 31, 5:34am
mmmm I wouldn't say that, both ways can be equally good

davidt4, Dec 31, 6:27am
I love mint and use it a lot with vegetables, especially Middle Eastern and North African salads.

rainrain1, Dec 31, 6:47am
and the smell of the mint leaves, so good