Kransky sausage

c-l, Apr 24, 10:07pm
x1
I bought some - I intend to cook them in a pan and wanted to know if you can eat them cold? I thought they might be nice in a salad? ? Your thoughts? ? ? ?

c-l, Apr 24, 10:13pm
Please - someone? Can you eat them cold? without getting sick? Do they need to be cooked in the first place? do they need to be cooked right through? Never used them before.

lilyfield, Apr 24, 10:19pm
sure--- nice cold. or just heated up

maxwell.inc, Apr 24, 10:31pm
Depends what brand you have... and if they are precooked.

I buy mine from a butcher (hand made) so they are raw and require cooking.

senj, Apr 24, 11:04pm
yes, yes and yes good any way you could choose to eat them, sliced thinly and in a salad very nice, cold in lunch box brilliant cook anyway you wish but cook properly every time, enjoy

bohemian4, Apr 25, 12:35am
I was at Verkerks butcher the other day and were giving then away as tasters, cold. No problems.

twindizzy, Apr 25, 12:44am
x1
Nice cold in a pasta salad too

pixiegirl, Apr 25, 2:48am
I think the verkerks ones are precooked. If in doubt just ask the butcher or check the packet. I only use the verkerks ones and I chop them into small bit size pieces and just heat them in a pan with very little olive oil in it - just serve them in a bowl at a party - yum - never any left over.

socram, Apr 25, 3:41am
Check the packaging. Any sausage once cooked should be OK cold - except those tasteless, sawdust and breadcrumbs, beef/pork 'flavoured' sausages, which are a travesty and get real sausages a bad name.

I like the kranskies and managed to get our local (Chinese owned) cafe to dump the original tasteless ones and change to kranskies.

Only then did they admit that most people left the old ones anyway and it is the main reason why I rarely have sausages from cafe's where cost seems to come before taste or quality.

When you have been brought up in an area where good pork pies and good pork sausages are taken for granted, these things assume a major importance in the quality of your life!

red-fmb, Apr 25, 5:01am
x1
Cheesey kransky fried (with a little oil) on top of a potato rosti with rocket salad with honey mustard dressing (on salad and kransky) absolutely devine...

daleaway, Apr 25, 5:48am
Unless you know for sure that they have been pre-cooked, I'd cook them to be on the safe side.
Good in a self-crusting veg quiche and eaten hot or cold. Also we slice them into a vegetable soup.

deus701, Apr 25, 6:55am
Thats true. . I miss a good quality sausage. Just because of a fewgluten intolerant people, the entire sausage population has to suffer from eating bland rubbish.

knowsley, Apr 25, 7:34am
You should give making your own a try. I haven't bought sausages in a while now. You can control what you add into them - mine are just meat/fat and flavours - herbs, spices etc. Just need a meat grinder with filling tube (my Kenwood was around $140 I think) and some sausage cases. Damn tasty!

deus701, Apr 25, 7:48am
I did, the difference was like heaven and earth. . oh so good. I don't have the necessary equipment to make it now, but here's a ratio I used:

75% real beef trimmings ( 500g)
30g of seasoning
60g filler (meal, grain)
and chilled water to bind ( around 200ml)

Wild venison & red wine makes fantastic sausages*salivates*

knowsley, Apr 25, 7:58am
I have only ever done pork snarlers. 70% lean and 30% added back fat. Chorizo, Toulouse, Italian, spicy... Never added any filler though - none of the recipes I have called for it. Same with the chilled water, but I am always open to improving on my cooking. :)

deus701, Apr 25, 8:51am
The filler helps in the binding process, and can also as an emulsifier while adding texture to the sausage. Too much will make the sausage cook out during cooking (not binded properly). Some people may not want fillers in their sausages tho.

The reason being is different meats have different binding properties. . eg pork trimmings, pork jowls, beef briskets don't bind really well compared to beef trimmings, trim lean pork, skinless chicken which gives your sausages improved flavour, texture and stability when cooking (dosen't split open like the mass produced ones).

st_allie, Apr 25, 8:57am
Brooks deli. . 'kransky cheese'. . are labelled refrigerate and eat within 3 days.

they also state "cook before eating"

I've never cooked, before eating, verkerks kranskys. They are ready to eat.

rema, Nov 10, 5:41am
Hi everyone, nobody has answered the question as to how to cook them (yes I know - having a blonde moment)

katalin2, Nov 10, 6:22am
You can simmer them gently ( so they don't split) bake them, grill them, microwave them, we often barbacue them. They are great cold. When my kids were still at home, they used to microwave them, roll in a piece of bread with my home made tomato sauce- it was a regular after school snack. I also slice them into a veggie bake or into lentil dishes. Really versatile, like chorizos.

rema, Nov 10, 7:35pm
Thank you Katalin - solved a problem for me

katalin2, Jul 27, 12:16am
you are welcome rema- I find kranskies and chorizo a great way to add some flavour to otherwise bland dishes and you don't need to use a lot so it is quite economical.