How to stop pav sinking after cooking

dollydot, Dec 23, 2:24am
The last time I made a pav I left it in the oven to cool and it had been high and lovely but it sank and went flat. I'm wondering if it due to the oven.It's a Classique which always has a fan on that comes on as it gets to temp and when you use fan bake (which I don't for pavs) it has an extra fan.I'm wondering if the fan which always goes for at least 20 mins after the oven is turned off flattened the pav.So should I take the pav out of the oven as soon as it is cooked and cool it on the bench!I'm sure I've done this before and had more luck.

dollydot, Dec 23, 2:24am
The last time I made a pav I left it in the oven to cool and it had been high and lovely but it sank and went flat. I'm wondering if it due to the oven.It's a Classique which always has a fan on that comes on as it gets to temp and when you use fan bake (which I don't for pavs) it has an extra fan.I'm wondering if the fan which always goes and continues for at least 20 mins after the oven is turned off flattened the pav.So should I take the pav out of the oven as soon as it is cooked and cool it on the bench!I'm sure I've done this before and had more luck.

taurushat, Dec 23, 4:49am
I heat oven to 130 on high (fan forced) then turn down to 120 when I place the pav in the oven.I then cook for 1 hour, then turn off the heat and leave pav in ovento dry overnight

ace441, Dec 23, 8:27am
Leaving in the oven to cool (with door slightly open) stops the sinking and cracking.

john946, Dec 23, 8:59am
Can I share my recipe/method with you. I've used this for years with great results."Pam's Pav: 4 egg whites - beat until frothy; 4 tablesp cold water; 2 tspn vinegar; 1 tspn vanilla; 2 teacups sugar. Beat altogether for 10 mins (it will have a "pearlarised" look). Turn out onto baking paper. Place in middle of oven: 175 deg C for 10 mins; turn down to 150 deg C for 20 mins; turn oven off until cool."Place on pav plate by placing the plate on the top side of pav, then flipping the plate over so you end up with the bottom of the pav facing upwards, ready for cream/fruit etc.If the pav does sink in the middle while cooling, it doesn't matter because it ends up undernearth & the sides hold the pav firm.Cheers, C.

john946, Dec 23, 9:09am
You can double Pam's Pav recipe successfully for a really big pav!

dollydot, Dec 23, 10:27am
Thanks for the tips, all going well I'll have no sinking this year : )

Great to have your recipe tooC (john946)

bev00, Dec 24, 10:39am
And another -
This is my recipe. I do it in a springform tin and I use malt vinegar.

Pam's Pavlova
6 egg whites at room temp
pinch salt
2 cups caster sugar
1 1/2 tsp malt vinegar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla.

Preheat oven to 150C. Beat egg whites with salt at high speed until soft peaks form. Add the sugar, 1tbsp at a time, beating well after each addition. Stop beating when all the sugar has been incorporated and fold in vinegar and vanilla. Pile mixture into a greased 20cm springform tin and lightly smooth the top. Bake for 45 mins at 150C,then turn off the oven and leave with door shut for one hour. When pav is cooked, remove from oven and cool completely. Remove sides of springform tin and fill pavlova generoulsy with whipped cream and your choice of topping which for me is usually Kiwifruit, strawberries or passionfruit pulp

Quotecookessentials (1205 )8:29 am, Mon 26 Dec #6

grouch, Dec 24, 6:33pm
It doesnt matter if it does sink and crack as once the cream is on the top no one will see it. They will be too busy tucking into it!

wendalls, Dec 25, 7:01am
My 2nd attempt at pav was very successful! It had a large layer of air inside that only collapsed on cutting! The blokes were amazed at my engineering feat. still loads of marshmellow inside and lovely crisp outer. Beat it for about 30mins as handmixer stuggled to get through 6 egg whites and dissolve the sugar .cooled withdoor shut overnight.

taurushat, Dec 25, 8:38am
Wow Wendalls, you deserve a medal beating your mix for 30mins with a handmixer.well done, sounds like it was all worth it : )Mine turned out great too with 6 eggs.