A question for coeliacs

kizzier, Dec 23, 2:00am
I know there are a few in here so thought this the best place to ask.

Has anyone ahd a reaction from iron tablets even though they claim to be gluten free!

nfh1, Dec 23, 2:05am
I am not coeliac, but I definitely react to iron tablets.Yuck!

kizzier, Dec 23, 2:10am
Oh really! in what way!

nfh1, Dec 23, 2:12am
They give me diarrhoea and make me feel sick.

kizzier, Dec 23, 2:12am
Hmmm that'ss exactly what I have had, and I only took one tab!

kirstenp, Dec 23, 2:14am
Does the packet/brand say anything about possible side effects. My daughter was recently put on losec(!) due to chronic stomach damage caused by Coeliac disease.her sore stomachs just go worse and worse. Turns out one of the rare side effects of this medicine was severe stomach pain - ironic really when its supposed to be helping the stomach. Hope your reaction wasn't serious.

nfh1, Dec 23, 2:14am
Me too kizzier.The GP gave me some quite some time ago and I felt terrible.I also bought some multi-vitamins and they had iron in and they had the same effect.Not pleasant.

nfh1, Dec 23, 2:15am
Oh no - how awful, you would carry on taking it thinking it would work eventually.

kirstenp, Dec 23, 2:18am
You'd think so - she refused to take any more and slowly her stomach came right again.

Funny with everyone else about the iron tablets - Ithas the opposite effect with me and I don't go to the toilet for days.

kizzier, Dec 23, 2:19am
Oh! Funny you say that! Multi vits always make me vomit - but I only take them in pregnancy so thought it must just be because of morning sickness!

kizzier, Dec 23, 2:19am
Again, normally I only take iron during pregnancy and also get constipated. Now my iron is low they said to up my intake or get an injection.