best ever chocolate cake and so easy

Page 10 / 11
doug57, Nov 24, 7:42am
I have a 'similar' recipe.which gets made each week here.dead easy!

4 T oil, 1.5C sugar, 2 eggs. 1/2 C cocoa, 2C sr flour, 1 tspn Bicarb soda, 1 tspn vanilla ess, 1C boiling water. Bung in a bowl and beat well.
Place in greased cake pan and bake 40-45 mins [180/350] This is moist and rich. Ice with choccy icing!

hooksie60, Nov 24, 8:03am
Hi Lorraine well I haven't tried doug one yet ( but will do) and guessing due to the amounts ends up a smaller cake. but can definitly reccomend the first makes a good sized cake. Roasting pan size and 10 cm high so if you are not big eaters i suggest you can cook in 2 lots or cut in half and freeze

pheebs1, Nov 26, 6:14am
oh my goodness that really is the best chocolate cake i have ever made! and i am not usually very good at making cakes but it was sooo moist and not so rich that i felt sick. it makes a hell of a lot which was great i made two very large cakes out of the recipe,mmmm is it bad that 3/4 of the first cake is already gone!
thanks i will be making this for a long time to come

wron, Dec 15, 3:07am
Bumping 'cause it's so far down and I'm intending to make it!

goldfish59, Oct 9, 7:28pm
In this recipe is it table s or tea s for baking powder. thanks

nicole1011, Oct 9, 10:38pm
I'm going to try this one on the weekend. Can anyone give me an ballpark idea as to how long the cupcakes should take, going to split the recipe between cake and cupcakes as suggested, and I will test them, but I have no clue of even a ballpark time, never made cupcakes before.

gerry64, Oct 9, 11:17pm
Is it a mud cake type recipe!

kiwikid1, Oct 11, 8:55pm
That was the best choc cake i actualy halved the ingredients and put in a square tin. Made yesterday and the last of it gone this morning was yummy

kiwikid1, Oct 11, 8:56pm
goldfish its teaspoon thats what a little t means a capital T means tablespoon in general baking terms.

pheebs1, Oct 12, 9:30pm
so glad to see this cake thread still around
i have been making this as my standby for at least 3 years now since i first found your recipe hooksie
its a real no fail, mine never sinks and i use canola oil

i love that its dark and chocolatey but not sickly, very light when cooked long enough and at the right temp(everyones oven are slightly different)
it it makes a tonne
although it never seems to last long

ive made it for morning teas for staff and groups with thick choc butter cream icing and piped on to cupcakes
this recipe makes me nearly 60!

i have shared this recipe with soo many people and its always a hit on shared school lunch days
so thanks hooksie60 your a star!

trader125, Oct 13, 8:22pm
Made this the other day , did some as muffins which came out really nice & baked the rest of mix in cake tin, next day I cut the cake it was like a rubber texture! Really weird looking dense , any ideas why it. Came out like that ! I thought maybe undercooked! But when I tested it seemed cooked and looked really nice , going to make again today

trah, Oct 13, 11:13pm
I just made it this morning.It has a much lighter, fluffier texture than I was expecting - I was thinking it would be moist like a mud cake!At the stage in the method where you mix everything except the boiling water "to make a batter" , my mixture certainly could not be described as a batter at that stage - more crumbly/dry.Not till I mixed in the boiling water did it turn to a batter - but quite thick.I did measure accurately too - apart from reducing the sugar by a cup.

trader125, Oct 14, 12:19am
Made the mix again , my mix is very runny made muffins turned out beautiful & very moist

hooksie60, Oct 14, 7:26am
Glad to hear that so many are still enjoying this recipe keep passing it on. Its good to see people still baking and not just buying store brought .this recipe is very forgiving and doesn't require much skill so great for beginners to give them some confidence

pheebs1, Oct 14, 8:29pm
thats odd you mat have missed the right amount of milk! when its before the boiling water its definately a thick batter when its after the water its almost like its so runny
i pour mine into a jug and pour my muffins in that way
anyhoo however it comes its fab!

nicole1011, Oct 15, 10:07pm
It went really well, did a cake for work colleagues and 12 muffins for us. It did rise more than I expected so the muffins had muffin tops :) Also, despite lots of oil spray on the tin, it still stuck. Had to hide that under some ganache.
Have had heaps of complimentary emails from colleagues to say they loved it.

hooksie60, Oct 31, 7:56am
nicole probably better to line the tin ( as I do) as it is a ruuny recipe the spray probably not sufficent. I use one of the baking mates from mitre 10 rather than baking paper then i can reuse just wipe clean. but either is good.personal preference only.hope this helps

nicole1011, Nov 5, 1:33am
Do you mean those rubber type baking pans!

hooksie60, Nov 5, 7:49am
yes you can use siliconbake ware ( not rubber lol) or just line your tin either baking paper or if you go to mitre 10 they sell a baking sheet that you can use in the oven or on a bbq they are really good.

ginta, Nov 10, 10:45am
Amazing cake, I cook at a boarding school, I doubled this recipe, two very large slice tins, the girls will love it, thanks so much for the recipe.

pheebs1, Nov 10, 9:33pm
theyre awful i find they stick as well
baking paper on the bottom of a oil sprayed tin works a treat
and always muffin tin patty liners
makes it soooo much easier
ps for the cake dont bother lining the sides just the sides
yum
now im hungry!

deansstand, Nov 11, 1:33am
Lined two loaf tins and made muffins {didn,t spray} came out easily and easy to clean, must be the oil.,reduced the sugar to 2.5 cups and used brown sugar .Very nice ;thankyou, hooksie60

catlover28, Nov 11, 6:59am
I did everything ritght but reduced the sugar to two cups. My only problem is the boiling water caused it to come out funny, hard to explain. A water clogged texture. I still liked the taste though but Im going to alter it somehow.

gardie, Nov 11, 5:20pm
Did you use both baking soda and powder!It sounds like you didn't get the raising agents right.Should not be water clogged at all (once cooked!)

catlover28, Nov 12, 2:00am
I cheated and used SR flour!