Tiramisu question

iriegirl, Dec 12, 2:16am
Hi all, when you make your own favourite tiramisu, do you all use mascarpone! Or cream cheese! Does it actualy make any difference!

rumpelstiltskin, Dec 12, 2:23am
I use mascarpone. It's smoother than regular cream cheese, tho you might get away with using the spreadable cream cheese!

davidt4, Dec 12, 3:04am
Mascarpone for me.I can't stand the gluggy texture of commercial cream cheese , and the flavour is wrong.It's quite easy to make mascarpone - let me know if you would like a recipe.

jaygee1962, Dec 12, 3:39am
Mmmmmm tiramisu. Mascarpone, both for much better texture and taste.

davidt4, can you post your mascarpone recipe please :)

davidt4, Dec 12, 3:55am
Mascarpone

makes 2 cups

1 litre cream
¼ tsp tartaric acid

Heat cream slowly over water to 82 – 90 C (180F) – this will take about an hour.

Line a large bowl with large piece of muslin, and stand in a lipped plate to contain drips.(Muslin will siphon off liquid)

Remove cream from heat and stir 30 sec.Remove bowl from water and stir 2 min.Add tartaric acid and stir well, pour into muslin-lined bowl.Chill at least 12 hours.When thick transfer to a jar and keep refrigerated.This will keep at least a week.

Make 4 x 24cm squares of muslin, place a quarter of cream on each one and fold into a parcel.Place on a lipped plate and refrigerate 12 hours.

sarahb5, Dec 12, 4:04am
I don't have a thermometer to make my own but definitely mascarpone - would never even have thought of trying tiramisu with cream cheese

vinee, Dec 12, 6:37pm
See, now I find marscapone really bland and love the flavour of cream cheese with coffee!
When tiramisu first came on the scene you couldn't get marscapone and recipes suggested half and half cream cheese and whipped cream as a replacement, which is what I still use.
Each to their own.

tc47, Dec 12, 6:52pm
Kind of off topic, but this is my favourite Tiramisu recipe:

http://www.cookingforengineers.com/recipe/26/Simple-Tiramisu

iriegirl, Dec 12, 7:25pm
Thanks for all your replies, and for the marscapone recipe davidt4, I will definitely try that thanks :o)

davidt4, Dec 12, 9:31pm
That's pretty well how I make it, although I don't use cream, just mascarpone.A mixture of dark rum and brandy is good.

gerry64, Dec 12, 11:35pm
The favorite in our hosue now is Mamas Pie -cookessentials kindly gave me the recipe - old boy loves the nutty flavour of the digestive biscuits

sarahb5, Dec 13, 3:05am
My recipe uses raw eggs but I use Kahlua, sherry or Baileys instead of brandy as my children found the brandy a bit too strong and we never have rum in the house.I make mine in my Tupperware gel ring but there is a bit too much mixture so you have to eat some beforehand - such a trial!

jaygee1962, Dec 14, 1:39am
Thanks davidt4 :)

mrpukekawa, Dec 14, 3:30am
What went wrong!

I baked some choc chip biscuits last night.They were flat and did not rise into 'dome' shape.Can anyone help!