Made Anzac Biscuits, Gingernuts, Jam, Pickle and

jimminette, Dec 5, 2:54am
bread baking in oven. Mmmmmmmm the house smells lovely. I'm having a coffee but I'm sure a wine is more deserved.

fifie, Dec 5, 3:11am
Mmmmm your making me hungry lol, Well done you have been busy ! ! Time to put the feet up and have a wine... or 2 or 3... .

korbo, Dec 5, 6:06am
mmm... what pickle did you make and what jam... would like a good pickle recipe

juliewn, Dec 5, 1:29pm
... and what time is cuppa time at your house so we can all be there. . :-) your goodies sound delicious. .

korbo, Dec 5, 6:18pm
julie, i am still looking for a recipe called golden pickle. it is really delicious, and bought a few jars at the hospice shop. seems to have onion, celery and something red, and a bright yellow thick sauce. if you can help would appreiate

jimminette, Dec 5, 6:37pm
Strawberry Jam - George's strawberries on SH16 Massey/Whenuapai had them 3 chips for $5 and 250gms per chip so for just over $5 and 6 cups of sugar I got 4+ jars of Jam.

Pickle is green pepper relish only I made it with red. Husband pigged out on last lot as really nice with everything. Chop up 1Kg peppers small but don't mince. (Yesterday I did yellow and red - George's again) Sprinkle with 2 tbsp salt and leave overnight. Drain and rinse well and drain thoroughly. Put in a pot and add 1½ cups sugar and 2½ vinegar. Boil gently until thickens (about 35-45 mins (wont be really thick as thickens as it cools)Pack and seal. Makes 3 x 350mm jars. and is really nice. I have heaps of capsicum growing in the garden now just so I can make a load of this

jimminette, Dec 5, 6:45pm
Had a look in my books but can't find anthing called Golden Pickle. My bible is a small hard cover, spiral bound book, NZ Womans Weekly Test Kitchen by Tui Flower. It has several pickle recipes in it. I've used lots of recipes from this book and never a dud. It's got all sorts in it. Pickled grapes, Rhubarb Pickle. It has recipes for Jam, Jelly, Marmalade, Pickles, Chutney and Relish, Sauces, Preserving, Crystallising, butters and vinegars. really good book

fruitluva2, Apr 22, 7:47pm
I've just made a batch of Anzac biscuits and the Anzac cake is baking away with the bread baker sending fresh bread aroma thru the house.
Anyone else made their Anzac biscuits?

korbo, Apr 23, 9:22am
what is anzac cake.
still looking for the pickle recipe... ... . . posts above... . . checked tuis pickle book .

fruitluva2, Apr 23, 7:30pm
Anzac cake is like a chocolate cake with oats & coconut topping very nice and filling. Uses far less butter than for the cookies.

supercook, Apr 23, 10:23pm
Yes made Anzac biscuits yesterday with sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds in them. It was the recipe I received from Chelsea sugar. Making hummingbird cake later after kids soccer.

elliehen, Apr 24, 12:32am
Alison Holst was on RadioNZ yesterday with her version of Anzac Biscuits. She had a couple of good hints - sunflower & pumpkin seeds for those who don't like coconut. Also, she uses her rounded tablespoon measuring spoon to scoop the mixture onto the oven tray, rounded side up. The recipe is on the NatRad website.

elliehen, Apr 24, 12:43am
Chef: Alison Holst, as heard on Afternoons with Jim Mora on Friday, 23 April 2010

This is my slightly modified version of these popular biscuits. They were, supposedly, carefully wrapped in airtight packages, then posted to the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps (ANZAC).

For really crisp biscuits, cook them a little longer. For softer, slightly chewy biscuits, cook them less. To keep the crisp biscuits crisp, keep them in an airtight container. They are unlikely to last long! !

For 35 - 50 biscuits:

Ingredients
100g butter
¼ cup golden syrup
1 tsp vanilla
a few drops of almond essence, optional
1 cup sugar
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup desiccated coconut or extra rolled oats
1 cup standard plain flour
½ tsp baking soda dissolved in 2 Tbsp warm water
Method
Heat oven to 170 C or 160 C Fanbake, with a rack in the centre of the oven. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Use measuring cups and level measures for good results.

Heat the butter until melted, in a fairly large microwave-proof bowl, or in a fairly large pot on the stove. Add the golden syrup and essence(s) and stir until combined. Mix well.

Add everything else in the order given, stirring between additions.

For large biscuits shape level measuring spoons of mixture. For smaller biscuits roll smaller balls, then flatten them.

Allow space between biscuits for baking. (When the first tray is filled, put it in to cook while you shape the remaining biscuits on another piece of baking paper. )

Bake biscuits for 15 minutes or until evenly golden brown.

Cool on a rack until cold and firm, then store in airtight containers.

fruitluva2, Feb 27, 5:16pm
Well done supercook on your bakes.