Will a stick blender work instead of a processor?

nunesy, Nov 28, 9:58pm
I don't have a food processor or the money to buy one, so might just get a cheap stick blender - if it will do the job!I don't make huge quantities.Is the main 'pro' of a processor that it will do solid foods too, like nuts etc!I mostly want to be able to puree chunky veges/soups and similar.TIA

sarahb5, Nov 28, 10:07pm
Only time I found a stick blender useful was for pureeing baby food and whipping cream.It wasn't really powerful enough for anything else.I don't use my processor as much as I use my cake mixer but if I made a lot of soups and didn't have a processor then I'd get a blender instead.It can make breadcrumbs and some will crush ice.

wheelz, Nov 28, 10:09pm
For veges and soups, a stick blender is fine. Our breville will crush ice and nuts.

wheelz, Nov 28, 10:13pm
Ours is a Breville Control Grip Stick Mixer BSB 510 on special at Briscoes for $90.00! Comes with blending leg, 750ml chopper bowl, 1.25 ml blending jug, wire whisk and anon slip mat. A grunty 700 watt.

nunesy, Nov 29, 12:16am
Ok thanks - I have a blender which I thought would be fine. it is for soups but hopeless for other things.

elliehen, Nov 29, 1:55am
A stick-blender (Braun brand) and a Breville hand-held beater manage to do everything I need for my household.

The stick blender is perfect for soups because it is so easy to clean.

nauru, Nov 29, 8:21am
A stick blender is also great for making your own Mayonnaise too.Just put all the ingredients in a goblet type container and blend away, mayo in about 30 seconds, so easy.I never buy mayo these days, you can make your own for a fraction of the cost of shop bought, tastes much better too.