Recommend a DURABLE stick blender?

Page 1 / 2
richardmayes, Jan 5, 9:42am
Sorry this isn't really a recipe question. but can anyone recommend a stick blender that will last a reasonable distance, and WON'T flog out within a year of purchase?

We have been gradually working thru the menu of stick blenders at Briscoes. previous Brabantia one lasted just under a year. Current Sunbeam "Stickmaster Platinum" is only a few months old and is already making sick sounding noises so I don't think that one has long for this world.

We don't misuse or abuse our gear, but we do use the stick blender most days as we make a lot of stews, curries and sauces to feed the tribe.

At this point I would consider spending more for a trade quality or semi-trade quality one (if such a thing exists) as I am getting a bit over returning broken useless appliances to the counter at Briscoes!

But after watching a succession of $100 to $200 appliances die young, I would dearly love to read a real endorsement of a make and model before getting too invested in one.

eljayv, Jan 5, 8:01pm
I have a Bamix which has been going strong for many years, however I do take note of instructions that come with most about length of time running it each time.

cleggyboy, Jan 5, 8:01pm
The drive I find is the weakest point on any I have had clap out. The motors are fine but the plastic drive between the motor and the stick is the problem. So while shopping look at that part if it is a spline drive and is plastic crap leave it on the shelf.

lindylambchops1, Jan 5, 8:22pm
Braun is excellent!

harrislucinda, Jan 5, 9:23pm
yes have a Braun still going must be 25 years old gone yellow now has a container to do nuts etc

davidt4, Jan 5, 9:55pm
I'm on my second Breville, the first one having lasted for about six years of heavy use. I use the mini-processor bowl a lot.

nauru, Jan 6, 5:59am
My present one is a Goldair brand, ½ price from Farmers a few years ago, pretty powerful and its still going strong. Had a Bamix years ago, almost new from second hand shop which was great but it eventually died and I would have replaced it with another but way out of my price range these days.

meoldchina, Jan 6, 6:27am
I can't fault my Braun which I have had for about 20 years. It's a very basic model.

sarahb5, Jan 6, 6:30am

lilyfield, Jan 6, 7:16pm
I have inherited my mums
At least 20 years old.
Braun of course

devonwrecked, Jan 6, 8:43pm
Kenwood and Breville both get good ratings in overseas tests.

kay34, Jan 7, 5:53am
Bought a breville for $5 from a salvation army shop 6 months ago after my warehouse one puffed smoke (had it about a year) and it has been used, and used, and used and shows no sign of slowing down yet, but for $5 it has exceeded my expectations!

blands70, Jan 7, 8:57am
I love my Braun and use the mini food processor bowls etc. all the time.

mrsvonflik, Jan 7, 11:35am
Barmix had it for 30 years no problems.Has an attachment for grinding herbs.I oil it about once a year.

paora-tm, Jan 8, 5:22am
We've just replaced a Braun with a Braun. The new one goes up and down - so exciting. :)

Edit. The previous one had a good life. It is actually still going - the soft plastic power button covering has disintegrated and seems a little unsafe. The new one has an improved power button.

meoldchina, Jan 8, 9:40am
paora-tm wrote:
We've just replaced a Braun with a Braun. The new one goes up and down - so exciting. :)

Are you sure it's a stick blender and not something you bought at an Ann Summers party?

meoldchina, Jan 8, 9:59am
I have just found the handbook from my Braun MR300 and I see that it was made in 1987. So there's a recommendation for you Richardmayes. It has lasted 30 years and is used at least once a week, unlike my Ford Focus which didn't last 3 years!

paora-tm, Jan 8, 10:12am
That's what happens when you use it to whip cream. :)

richardmayes, Jan 8, 10:20pm
Thanks all - it sounds like Braun and Bamix are the top ones, and Breville worth a try also.

lindylambchops1, Jan 8, 11:03pm
Braun is well worth the money! You get what you pay for. I have had my Braun for years & just passed it on to my daughter. She loves it too.

I am going to buy another Braun just as soon as I see a good deal.

You know it makes sense, Buy Braun!

djsh, Jan 9, 9:32am
My Braun one is almost 18 years old and still works fantastic - the mini food processor bowl has met with and accident though

djsh, Jan 9, 9:35am
http://www.briscoes.co.nz/kitchen/appliances/braun-multi-quick-9-hand-blender-mq9087x-1073097

I’ve heard good things about this as I’m think of upgrading soon. It was on special for $180 recently and could be cheaper elsewhere

marcs, Jan 9, 1:29pm
Bamix is a good brand. Gets used in restaurants a lot and doesn't die that easy. Sounds like you need a heavy duty one with all the use.

richardmayes, Feb 4, 5:33am
Thanks all -

The Bamix magic wand arrived today. Despite being theoretically 1/5 the motor power of the previous Sunbeam heap of carp, it chopped up tonight's pasta sauce in the same amount of time as anything else we've had.

I like that the sharp end is all metal so you can stick it into a simmering saucepan of acidic tomato-based sauce for a few seconds and not feel too guilty about it.

Too early to say anything about durability of course. But as a keen aficionado of classic cars, hand and power tools it just *feels* like a good well-made thing that doesn't seem to have changed much for years and years and hopefully has had most of the design flaws ironed out of it.

paora-tm, Feb 4, 5:48am
Cheaper than a Briscoe's special? Does that happen much on current models?