Crockpot Hangi Post

Page 9 / 21
evandor, Apr 17, 9:33pm
bump... trying this tonight :)

micky_1, Apr 18, 8:04am
tried and well tested in this house infacthubby is coming back from oz this week and he has ordered it for family dinner... .

korbo, Apr 18, 6:58pm
rollon winter to make this again... yummmmmy

karenz, Sep 8, 6:59am
All you will ever need to know about cooking a hangi in a crockpot, I have done this with chicken and wild pork, yum.

janny3, Sep 11, 9:43am
bumping for my mate who just scoffed my hangi dinner!

cuteviolet, Sep 23, 8:20am
Just bumping - For everyone who hasn't tried this yet!!

52many, Sep 23, 8:43am
Ive tried this useing pork. I put spuds and pumpkin on bottom. Then pork. On top of the pork, I rubbed with a bit of olive oil, salt and crushed garlic. Then I cut off the skin of a bacon hock and cut into strips, laying them over the pork. Chucked some sliced carrots around the side and a double mixture of chicken stuffing over the top. Then I roughly chopped some cabbage and spread over it all. I then convered it with a teatowel and put the lid on. I cooked on high for 3 hours and then low for 4. It was perfect. Ive just bought some Hickory Smoke from Binn Inn and will try this next week...

tasmum, Sep 23, 10:28pm
Hickory smoke Found a member on trademe selling small 25g bags for $2.50 free delivery :) doyle1 is traders name.
I have my parents coming up in school holidays so am going to give them a Crock pot hangi too.Can't wait!

rodg.sue, Sep 23, 11:11pm
100 years ago my dad used to play rugby for alliance freezing works in Invercargill, after every game there was a hangi and that was the highlight of the Sunday, I never use to go to watch dad it was always for the hungi! Unfortunatly now they dont seem to be as common and sometimes they can be used for fundraising but would love to see more of them! Am going to NW today to get a chicken and will cook it on Saturday for tea cant wait many thanks for recipe!

tasmum, Oct 2, 8:02pm
Best ever... made this for tea last night while my parents were staying.They said it tasted just like the real thing! It was delicious, even the kids enjoyed it.Now my mum is going to try it when she gets home.Thanks to the original poster for this great idea:)

nikiez, Oct 9, 8:53am
weres the actual recipe at?

thekingofcars, Oct 12, 5:02am
Made this on sunday, turned out great, today enough left over chicken to make chicken soup in crock pot.. A+++

coyoteblonde, Oct 12, 5:25am
ooh nice! Im gonna try it this weekend with some liquid smoke. Man, my mouth is watering at the thought...

no1niki, Oct 14, 2:05am
Righto..have been out to buy a crockpot yesterday, filled it up today, have used chicken piece's & afew lamb hocks for the meat (b/f insisted), pototoes, kumara & pumkin covered with cabbage, had no room for stuffing, hardly had room for cabbage & it's a 6.5litre crockpot biggest i could find lol...will post update on how it turns out! Carn't wait. Have also been online & ordered the liquid smoke for next time, all thing's in moderation wont hurt you i reckon ;-)

janny3, Oct 14, 3:39am
Hope your hangi turns out great!

no1niki, Oct 14, 8:22am
Thank's janny..well it was beauty!!!! Chicken & lamb fell off the bone, everything cooked perfectly, i reckon with that liquid smoke it will be just AWESOME.

pepa, Oct 14, 8:42pm
OMG what you doing over here No1niki LMAO *slap slap* I do mine in a big oven tray and cover with Tinfoil. have to with such a huge family LOL

no1niki, Oct 15, 6:57am
LOL *pushes pepa over* i'mmmm getting TIP'S woman!! Hey great stuff over here, i even getting into doing some actual "cooking" now lol. Yep we had 1 done in the oven tray last week, a mate cooked it for us & omg that was yummo to, feed our house(4), my old lady's(3), my old man's(2) & b/f's grandfather(we took him over a plate made up)!!! The crockpot only does enough for US, but i think we are pig's lol...

janny3, Oct 16, 1:25pm
no1niki - glad it worked out well.Yet to do the lamb this way.My brother makes his in a lidded roasting pan like Pepa.

Sprinkles a cpl Tb juniper berries, sawdust & charcoal in the bottom.He uses a cake rack to cook the food on, covers the lot with taro leaves then foil & the lid for a snug fit.He makes a lot more the oven way, so as to theoretically save having to cook the next day.

Crockpot is only enough for a couple of people, unless you have one of those huge slow cookers on the market now.

no1niki, Oct 17, 3:58am
OMG i know, it feed just us, but that's all i wona feed with it so am happy, we have the liquid smoke now so will give it a go prob next week sometime & see how that goes. The lamb come out beauty, you should try it ;-)

punkinthefirst, Oct 17, 5:21am
I've done this sort of thing using oven bags with meat and veges all in the one bag and cooked slowly in the oven for hours. Yummy! Try it with different flavours, e.g., put lamb or mutton in with veges and some yoghourt and tandoori paste. Delicious! Or beef and veges with some tomato paste, mushrooms, and a little wine and stock. Its always best when the flavours are robust and the vegetables chunky.

janny3, Oct 17, 3:50pm
no1niki, you made me droole so much I went to Mad Butcher but the price of lamb was too much & settled for boring ol chicken.Least he had a little watercress left & the veg shop had some cabbage.So now we'll see about your liquid smoke.Bin Inn's $2.50 doesn't seem a bad price, for smoke either.

no1niki, Oct 18, 3:29am
Lol @ janny....we got our lamb hock's from the Meat Warehouse, 2 for $5 so we got 2 pack's & i brought 2kg tegal chicken drumstick's from the supermarket & used 4 piece's of them in the hangi...was soooo yummo!! I saw the lamb hock's in Pak n Save other day when was in there for same price, so have a look next time your near either janny. Yeeep meat is so expensive these day's, sheesh where's all the hunter/gatherer's when ya want them lol. Yea i'm interested to see what the liquid smoke turns out like as well, so will do another this week sometime...god damn hope it turns out as we brought the 250ml bottle instead of the 100ml as worked out cheaper for more lol *bang's head on desk*. Gee didn't know you could get it from Bin Inn...i will go check our's out & see if we have it & have a sniff n see if smell's similar.

coyoteblonde, Oct 18, 3:49am
Got mine on now, think its done! I put it on at 11am.
Added some liquid smoke. Should take a pic of it....

no1niki, Oct 18, 11:03am
*frowns* well gee coyoteblonde it's not nice to take photo's to tease us all now lol..i'm sooo drooling right now!!! Look's fab...carn't wait to hear how the liquid smoke tasted.......