Crockpot Hangi Post

Page 1 / 21
ants9, Jun 14, 7:08am
x1
Would just like to say that I made this today-And yes you were right-pretty close to the real thing especially for smaller quantities of people :) Thanks

angie461, Jun 14, 7:34pm
Ive made this as well it is lovely unfortunately I have broken my crockpot inner, so Im looking out for a new one on special.

jam-sam, Jun 14, 7:42pm
Its pretty good aye :) After making it for my father in law last week he went back home on Wednesday and has made it twice himself since then lol. I just love how its all in one pot, put it on in the morning and forget it and the results are so good just in time for tea. Too easy!

tara34, Jun 14, 10:07pm
Please share the recipe! ! Yum! !

jag5, Jun 14, 11:18pm
Got my... . . curiosity up. Receipe please.

falconhell2002, Jun 14, 11:19pm
bump please from me to. sounds great

ants9, Jun 15, 2:40am
This is copiedofrom original thread Evening everyone... . hangi was fantastic! I blended two recipes I got off the
trade me cooks website. I prepare all the veges (spuds, kumera, pumpkin,
carrots) and put a ring of spuds on the bottom but leave a hole in the
middle. Then sit a whole chicken (or what ever type of meat you fancy) on
top of the spuds so its not sitting directly on the bottom. I then put all
the rest of the veges packed around the chicken. Then I put some watercress
(to taste, depending on how much you like it) on top of that, then big
cabbage leaves over the whole lot. Lastly I cover everything with stuffing
to create kind of a crust on top. I usually put it on first thing in the
morning on high (lid on) and turn it down to low about 1-2pm. Perfect by
teatime. Had my father in law here today, hes staunch old school Maori and
he loved it!

But I didn't put the crust on-The cabbage leaves were enough

falconhell2002, Jun 15, 2:51am
o yum sounds great cant wait to go to the supermarket now.

donna23, Jun 15, 4:00am
Poster no 2 Look in second hand shop for new inner for crockpot, thats where I got mine and later a new glass lid. Both in excellent condition.

janny3, Jun 19, 4:01pm
crock pot hangi? THANKS

sammy61, Jun 20, 6:03am
qns do u put water in the crockpot? if so how much or does it just steam?

jam-sam, Jun 20, 6:37am
No water... the juice from the chicken and veges along with the condensation should be enough. That said though, it would be a good idea to check it every so often as your crockpot could be better than mine :)

tasmum, Jun 20, 7:45am
angie461... What make was your crockpot? I have an inner and lid for the old ralta model sitting gathering dust?

korbo, Jun 20, 7:58pm
cant wait to try this, i am a non-maori and just LOVE the smell and taste of hangi. cant remember when i last had one. this is definatley for dinner tomorrow night. would you need to put any seasoning in. the crockpot needs to be used more, and this sounds perfect... . hope i can get the watercress. could i subsitute with silverbeet, yes/no... . . thanks.

tixy, Jun 20, 8:27pm
Bump for the person who needs an inner - check post #13

ants9, Jun 20, 9:07pm
no 14 I didn't put the watercress on-just cabbage on top and it was great.
I also sprinkled with a herbal salt:)

jam-sam, Jun 20, 9:25pm
The silverbeet is fine... . I only use watercress as thats what my dad used to line his hangi baskets with when I was a kid so it gives it that authentic flavour for me lol. Its all up to your imagination and taste. Even in a ground hangi everyone does it differently so you end up with different flavours :)If you do like using watercress in cooking, its easy to grow in pots. I got some from a local stream (wouldnt eat it straight out of there though) and put it in terracotta pots. Then I sat the pots in a big bin with enough water to come about 1/4 of the way up the sides of the pots. I tip the water off every couple of days and add fresh stuff... it grows really well and the more you pick it the more it grows. Oh and put it somewhere darkish... it doesnt like direct sunlight.

sammy61, Jun 21, 7:40am
highly recommended made some 2night, used pork for my meat just beautiful just as good as the real hangi.

korbo, Jun 21, 9:20am
got my chicken thawing... . cant wait to make this tomorrow. any ideas please on what spices, could give the *ground hangi* taste.

helen59, Jun 21, 9:48am
You all need Liquid smoke. It gives it a smokey flavour - yum

pyrenean, Jun 21, 10:47am
Made this on Friday. . Excellent and the juices in the bottom made perfect gravy. I used a chicken. .

tasmum, Jun 21, 10:22pm
liquid smoke... I had a friend bring me back some many years ago from the States. Can you buy it here and where from? It's great stuff :)

korbo, Jun 22, 2:07am
MMMM the smell in my kitchen is devine.
the chook is doing well, and the vegs are starting to soften.
roll on 6pm. now need a nice dessert to go with it.
it is soooo cold here today, and this is the way to cook... warms up the kitchen as well.

korbo, Jun 22, 8:17am
yes siree... . this is a winner with the family.
I found it only took about 5 1/2 hours on full, the vegs cooked to perfection, and the chook meat was falling of the legs.
I am not exagerating, but it sure smelt like a far dinkum hangi.
will be doing it again, and having friends into share.
thanks to you on message board... . . you are a gem.

coggs, Jun 23, 5:38am
Yummm Cooked this for tea last night. On high for 2 hours and low for about six. Chicken fell apart and the veges were perfect. All the family is hooked.