Crockpot Hangi Post

Page 2 / 21
tumbleweeds2011, Jun 24, 7:50pm
Going to make this today Thank you, sounds yum!

angie461, Jun 24, 8:20pm
Thanks My crockpot was a zip, Thanks anyway, I am just going to get a new one now.

mt-deap, Jun 25, 3:05am
This sounds devine :) Got some watercress today so will try this tomorrow. Has anyone tried this with using beef? If so how did that meat turn out? Thank you for sharing this awesome idea.

..smashpalace.., Jun 25, 3:53am
SOoo yummy sounding Question - how do you make the stuffing? Sorry, never made it before.

dezzie, Jun 25, 4:14am
liquid smoke is available from nelson naturally, they have an online site, I'd put about 4 drops in about two litres of water then dunk the vege and meat in it before putting them in the crockpot if it was me. .

tasmum, Jun 25, 4:52am
thanks dezzie Shall have to find some... . yummmm I can almost smell it :)

helen59, Jun 25, 8:56am
liquid smoke just sprinkle a few drops on and mix to ensure it's spread.

jam-sam, Jun 25, 9:32am
Stuffing: You can add what ever you feel like to make it your own... breadcrumbs, onion, herbs (either fresh or dried), seasonings and egg all mixed together. My fav hangi one that my mum always made for our hangi when I was a kid has breadcrumbs, fresh parsley/sage/thyme/oregano, carrot, onions, eggs and seasonings. A food processor is your friend lol... no picking the bread apart by hand like we had to for hours as a kid lol.

baznmiss, Jun 25, 10:19am
Thank you jam-sam for the watercress growing tips.

jam-sam, Jun 25, 8:02pm
Youre welcome baz... Apparently you only need to change the water once a week. Check out the gardenstuff.co.nz website... they have watercress seeds if you cant find any to transplant. We used to just get it from the streams but there are too many cows around now days and the streams are all yuck.

jam-sam, Jun 25, 8:07pm
Re above... its www.gstuff.co.nz and they also have kamo kamo seeds too but they come up as kumi kumi or Maori pumpkin.

anabelles, Jun 25, 8:57pm
jam-sam:Growing watercress What kind of 'potting mix' in your terracotta pots please?

tasmum, Jun 26, 4:57am
bumpity for similar request:)

jam-sam, Jun 26, 10:30am
I just used the Warehouse or Mitre 10 stuff. Nothing but the cheapest here lol. You dont have to put water in the actual pots, just sit the pots in the water in bigger bins. I get the cheap plastic fish bins from the Warehouse. Ive got a few bins with two pots each in them going at the moment. If you are going to try it now, it might take till spring till it takes off as Ive noticed mine has slowed down slightly over the last few weeks.

falconhell2002, Jul 2, 7:46am
what did we do wrong I told my friend of this way to cook. She made it today and the only thing cooked was the pumpkin. Chicken was still bloody and spuds and kumera were still hard.

jam-sam, Jul 2, 9:36am
It sounds like something is wrong with the CP If its in there for all that time it should cook... was the chicken frozen? I always make sure mine are thawed out first.

korbo, Jul 2, 10:11am
did she have the crockpot on low or warm. sounds like it is not working. never cook a frozen chook in the crockpot... . i have been told... .

falconhell2002, Jul 2, 8:10pm
it was fresh defrosted, on low from 8. 30 in the morning and she took it out at 5. 30. Also her slow cooker is fairly new.

redhead21, Jul 3, 2:52am
we did this and it was yummy cooked for around 5 hours, and everything fell apart it was so well cooked.

falconhell2002, Jul 3, 3:36am
well thats just down right weird OK im going to cook it on Sunday for us in my slowcooker and see how it goes. Maybe her cooker does have issues. She said it was beautiful after an hour in the oven.

workersmum, Jul 3, 11:07pm
Some slow cookers the lid doesn't fit properly. I cover mine with a teatowel because there is a wee gap. BUT I am home all day to keep an eye on it. Not that anything untoward has happened, I'm just cautious lol.

janny3, Jul 4, 11:43am
Thanks for bumping this up I've yet to try it but my mates across the ditch get so homesick, they're making some already! Thanks again.

jam-sam, Jul 4, 9:12pm
Thats why in the original recipe I put the stuffing crust on top... it seals everything in like a real hangi. I make heaps of stuffing and its probably a couple of cms thick when spread on top. That way it steams away all day, which is what the real thing does :)

janny3, Jul 5, 3:42am
Wonderful Thank you!

samel11, Jul 5, 6:42am
AWSOME We have just had it for tea tonite, it was really delicious.