Crockpot Hangi Post

Page 21 / 21
misilon, Dec 14, 12:28am
I sold my crockpot ,.off to look for another now,.great stuff!

janny3, Dec 15, 1:41am
This recipe is better than those in internet searches. http://www.food.com/recipe/hangi-in-a-crock-pot-160425

drewz1, Jan 18, 7:04pm
Interesting cooking methods. Would this work! Lay cabbage leaves on the bottom of the crockpot. Place meat, then a layer of cabbage leaves, then potatoes, kumara, etc, then lay more cabbage leaves, then stuffing on top. Who thinks this would be ok, thanks!

goldgurl, Feb 8, 4:05am
that would be fine Drewz :)

Haven't read most of this thread but all I do is:

*Peel and lay the spuds/carrots/kumara on the bottom of the crockpot.

*Split the chicken down the backbone, brown quickly on the stove top.Lay the chicken on the potatoes.

*put cabbage where it will fit on top of the chicken.

*fill all remaining spaces with my special stuffing.

*my stuffing is basically, bread cut up fine, onion, garlic, raisins, apricot jam, LOTS of mixed herbs, salt and peper and eggs to combine.I make HEAPS of it, cos it's great on it's own lol.

janny3, Mar 21, 1:01am
Would love the hangi steam pudding recipes to try in the slow cooker too please!

ferriswhee1, Mar 27, 3:18am
I wonder if it was put on the high or the low setting!Only way this wouldn't cook.By the way, what brand is her cooker!I love and adore mine; :)

janny3, Dec 19, 1:24pm
Bought this online and just a few drops in a 2 litre bowl of water is perfect for dipping the veg into for that smokey flavour.

chevcamaro, Dec 19, 10:21pm
i get a rolled beef piece place on the bottom in the middle get some fatty pork wrap that around the beef,4 chicken pieces around the edges, potatoe, kumeraand pumpkin in then, smokey salt or masterchef did a smokey spice then cabbage leaves on top, on slow 8 or 9 hours, just like digging a hole

janny3, Dec 20, 4:27am
oh that seems yum.I need to find the smokey salt and spice.

anne1955, Dec 20, 4:51am
Yummy non maori but eat all apart from Kina :) I once had the most wonderful steamed pudding done in a Hangi, they told me it was the same recipe as in good old Edmonds cook book but into a big a4 tin and put in same time as .it was laid .sorry guess it had to be.but wondering if it could be done in crokpot, yes know it can just be done in large post but I am sure it was the slow cooking that made it so divine.I'll never forget it.but sure as will try this bugger can't do it for Xmas Dinner, but will be done and soon.Thanks

punkinthefirst, Dec 20, 5:49am
I've done this sort of thing in oven bags. in the oven on 120 degrees C.
You can put in some spices and yoghurt and make a sort of curry; apricots and middle Eastern spices to make a sort of tagine (make the couscous at the last minute). infinitely variable, and a great way to have a meal ready when you come in from a long hard day. I might try putting my oven bag in the slow cooker!

tigger8, Dec 22, 9:06pm
trying it now fingers crossed lol

rosel4, Dec 23, 3:31am
How did it go!Did you seal the bag to keep all the steam in or just as a liner for your crock pot bowl!

tigger8, Dec 23, 7:46am
went well, just need a bigger crockpot LOL, used a teatowl (wet) to cover it all then put lid on, cooked on high for about 4hrs then low for 5 1/2hrs, had 2 shanks 5 pork strips potatoes carrots parsnips with cabbage leaves between layers, not enough room for kumuras so will have to do anotherhehehe

tigger8, Dec 23, 7:50am
no oven bag just 60ml of water in crockpot then spuds, cabbage leaves, meat and carrots and parsnips , cabbage leaves and wet teatowel (to seal around lid) going to do another tomorrow yumy

janny3, Dec 23, 9:50am
I didn't put any water in mine but there was plenty of liquid after cooking.Perhas cut the veges smaller to fit!And blanch the watercress first so it fits.The stuffing moulded over the top of everything replaces the earth by keeping the steam in to cook everything.BTW: I did use an upside down frypan on top of the slow cooker to weight the lid down until everything settled.

Hope it works out for you!

karrie, Jun 25, 3:37am
I made this yesterday! A MUST is to add bacon bones to your choice of meat (I used pork) and potato pumpkin kumara cabbage carrots. The smokey flavour from the bacon bones went right through the pork and the vegies! Its a winner!