Scottish fruit pudding (breakfast)

cancaz, Nov 23, 5:24am
x1
Anyone out there who can give me the recipie for this yummy breakfast sausage I would be most greatful.

elliehen, Nov 23, 5:38am
Can you give a little more information about what is in it!I have a 1925 cookery book compiled by the Scottish Women's Rural Institutes and could have a look in there for you.

uli, Nov 23, 5:38am
So do I get this right!
". Scottish fruit pudding yummy breakfast sausage." recipe!

Is there meat involved or fruit!

uli, Nov 23, 5:40am
Ok - ".Fruit pudding is a Scottish dish which is a mixture of wheat flour, beef suet or rusk, brown sugar, currants and/or sultanas, glace cherries, peel, salt and cinnamon, like in a fruitcake, formed into the shape of a large sausage. Normally cut into slices and fried, it is an optional feature of the traditional Scottish breakfast. Although served in this context as part of a savoury meal, its close relationship to dumpling means it may also be served as a dessert."

uli, Nov 23, 5:40am

elliehen, Nov 23, 5:45am
I have found one recipe in the book I mentioned above:

ALMUNDIGOES

1lb fillet of beef
1 large onion
1 dozen raisins (stoned)
1/4 lb stale bread
1 egg
flour, pepper and salt to taste

Put beef, onion, raisins through a mincing machine; soak bread in cold water, squeeze out and mix all together; season and bind with the egg.make into balls, flour, and brown by frying in very hot fat for a few minutes.Have ready some good boiling gravy, drop in, simmer slowly for 3/4 hour.Serve with gravy round the dish.

elliehen, Nov 23, 5:53am
Now I can't stop reading ;)

HATTED KIT (A very old Highland Dish)

Warm slightly over the fire 2 pints of buttermilk.Pour it into the dish and carry it to the side of the cow.Milk into it about 1 pint of milk, having previously put into the dish sufficient rennet for the whole.After allowing it to stand for a while, lift the curd, place it on a sieve, and press the whey through until the curd is quite stiff.Season with sugar and nutmeg before serving, whip some thick cream, season it also with a little grated nutmeg and sugar and mix gently with the curd.This dish can quite well be made without milking the cow into it, although the contributor's mother always considered that direct milking put a better hat on the kit.

Contributed by Mrs Anstruther Duncan, Balmerino Women's Rural Institute.

cancaz, Nov 23, 6:01am
Tried Uli's link but no go . havebeen on line most of the afternoon I seem to have the ingredients but not the quantities and how to mix as far as I know there is no meat in it

cancaz, Nov 23, 6:08am
As far as I know this is what is in it
Wheat flour beef suet or rusk whatever rusk is I do not know,can anyone enlighten me! brown sugar sultanas or currants peel salt and cinnamon but what to do with it I dont know. It comes in a long roll like slice sausage.

elliehen, Nov 23, 8:30am
Apart from the baby teething 'rusk', wiki gives the meaning of rusk as:

rusk/rəsk/
Noun: Rebaked bread used as extra filling, for example in sausages, and formerly as rations at sea.

elliehen, Nov 23, 8:44am
I did some Googling and this came up, but it looks quite plain.

"A Scottish square sausage, usually served in a roll for breakfast."

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/675/square-slice-sausage.aspx

cancaz, Nov 23, 9:05am
No sq sausage is different still good though full of fat

cancaz, Nov 27, 3:53am
still looking anyone help

harrislucinda, Nov 27, 4:18am
hadalookinmyrecipebookmadefromcanterburyhighlandpipebandhasscottishrecipesinbutcantseewhatyou arelookingfor

davidt4, Nov 27, 4:46am