Shelling boiled eggs

Page 2 / 2
kay141, Nov 23, 3:02am
There is really nothing new under the sun. I wonder who came up with the idea first. My mother always put them into boiling water which I suppose is a good idea if you want hot eggs. She also pricked a hole in one end (can't remember which) to prevent them cracking during cooking. I do 7 minutes and get a yolk which is well cooked but not that dry crumbly texture. Great for salads and I usually have some in the fridge, peeled, for a snack or even a quick breakfast. You can eat a hard-boiled egg with one hand while the other is doing something else.

sarahb5, Nov 23, 4:04am
I always put mine into cold water with a bit of salt for soft ones and bicarb for hard ones.I have one of those red egg shaped egg timers that you pop in the pot with the eggs.Bring them to the boil, watch until they get to the required "level", take them off the heat and put the saucepan under a cold running tap until all the water in the saucepan is cold, except if you're having a boiled egg and soldiers when obviously you want it warm so you just tip it out into your egg cup and you're done!I didn't believe my friend when she gave it to me and said it worked but it really does.

patxyz, Nov 23, 4:09am
Read somewhere (and tried it a couple of days ago), that if the eggs are too fresh (and are a pita to peel),Crack and break the membrane on the blunt end of the egg then blow hard into 'the hole'

Didnt cure the problem with pita eggs but certainly made it easier to shell.

patxyz, Nov 23, 4:11am
Agree with wheelz, so does most of the internet. (Say most because I havent searched ALL of it.)

Shame.

uli, Nov 23, 6:55am
I am glad that you all know how old my eggs are (I know they are between 1 and 10 days usually) and that I over cook them (I know that I cook them usually 4 minutes) and then they go into cold water and stay there until I peel them (within 10 minutes usually) .

But yeah - everybody seems to know much better what happens here LOL - keep going people - I am always happy to learn more about myself and my life!

uli, Nov 23, 8:06am
P.S.: You could even contribute to ellies and knowsleys book about me :)

patxyz, Nov 23, 8:16pm
Stop being such a drama queen

We werent the one making the erroneous statement that "The grey to green line is formed in older eggs only"

the-lada-dude, Nov 23, 8:24pm
well well, lots of interesting info.wonder how thy do it commercially !

kay141, Nov 23, 10:47pm
A place I worked did boil eggs commercially. Hundreds at a time. Placed on trays in a commercial sort of microwave oven, never did investigate how it worked but it cooked them in a few minutes. Then they were put into cold water and peeled when cold. Still had trouble peeling some. Guess they were too fresh. We got dozens of them twice a week. They were then sliced by machine. I never sawgreen or any other colour round the yolks though. If that happened, they couldn't be used and would have ruined any batch of sliced eggs they were in.