Best roasting pan recommendations please

Page 1 / 2
fendi3, Nov 18, 6:14am
I am after a decent roasting pan and happy to pay for a good quality one. Any advice/recommendations would be very welcome! Thanks.

carlosjackal, Nov 18, 8:06am
We have a (German) Miele roasting/casserole dish which has a lid and would have to be the best roasting dish we have ever had.

http://www.universal-akb.com/hub6135.html

carlosjackal, Nov 18, 8:06am
We have a (German) Miele roasting/casserole dish which has a lid and would have to be the best roasting dish we have ever had.

It is described as a casserole dish, however I have only ever used it as a roasting dish/pan:
http://www.universal-akb.com/hub6135.html This is what the lid looks like: http://www.universal-akb.com/hbd6035.html

carlosjackal, Nov 18, 8:53am

fendi3, Nov 19, 6:55am
Thanks for that carlosjackal and will have a look as am sick of roasting pans that don't last!

m41, Nov 19, 6:56am
Scanpan ones are great

carlosjackal, Nov 19, 7:37am
You're welcome. We've had ours since 2002 and it still looks brand new!

uli, Nov 19, 7:50am
Wow - roasting pans that don't last!
What do you do with them!
Mine come from my grandmother and my mother LOL :)

fendi3, Nov 19, 9:59pm
Uli I have no idea what I do to them! I have le creuset casseroles etc that I have had for years but roasting pans goodness knows! I think that I need to look after them like my le creuset pans.
Thanks m41 and will look at Scanpan as well! I will have a look at Moore Wilsons as they seem to have a wide variety.

sarahb5, Nov 19, 10:06pm
I'd just like to be able to find one big enough for a decent sized chicken or piece of meat and the veggies around it - I like to roast my meat or poultry on a rack so the fat drips through and bastes the veggies so I don't want the rack to be the size of the pan because I want to turn my veggies.I've given up looking now and just use the grill pan from my oven because at least it's the full width of the oven but then I can't do the gravy in it because it's too big to use on the stove top.

biggles45, Nov 19, 10:10pm
Me too. The modern ones seem to be coated with something (not non-stick) that starts to lift and chip after a relatively short time. I don't use metal utensils in them either. My mother has one that she has had for 30 odd years and it is still good!

carlosjackal, Nov 19, 10:27pm
Hey sarahb5, the Miele roasting pan I've given a link for is HUGE! W x D x H: 15 x 14 x 3½ " For 16-20 servings (atleast!)

unknowndisorder, Nov 19, 10:36pm
Fendi3, the one that Carlos linked to is for sale on here for $300 buy now. It is in Auckland, pick up only, but I'd be happy to if you're interested, or someone may be closer by. we have friends up from Wellington this weekend, but I suspect they'll have enough luggage.

sarahb5, Nov 19, 10:39pm
Yeah I saw that but the second link (the Aussie one) wouldn't load for me unfortunately.It's quite an investment and money I just don't have at the moment (made redundant last week) so I might not need to worry because if I don't get a job I won't be able to afford meat anyway!

gerry64, Nov 19, 11:16pm
I bought the Baccarat ID3 grill and roast pan - has an induction plate on both the pan and the lid - its great you can brown the meat on the element and then put it into the oven as well as using the lid as a grill plate

carlosjackal, Nov 20, 12:05am
Fair enough too. Sorry to hear about your job situation - all the best with that, and the Miele roasting pan will always be available to buy online anyway, if you did ever decide to buy one ;o)

sarahb5, Nov 20, 12:33am
Cheers - more time to spend on here now!

carlosjackal, Nov 20, 1:34am
LOL! Yep.and I'm hoping to see you post some awesome recipes!

davidt4, Nov 20, 1:37am
Mine is the same as Uli's.I've had it for decades and it doesn't stick or burn despite very heavy use.I can't remember where it came from, it was cheap, and it looks like this.It has a dimpled lid for covered roasting.

http://www.briscoes.co.nz/Kitchen/Pots_&_Pans/1041951/Grosvenor-Rectangle-Roaster-40-x-28cm.html

uli, Nov 20, 1:57am
The one with the dimpled lid is nowadays called "self basting" as I guess the steam condenses and then drips off the dimples back onto the meat. Works a treat.

If you have no money to buy a new one then check out the local Hospice shop, Red Cross shop or any other op-shop you might have in town.

ruby19, Nov 20, 6:31am
I have a scanpan and, and use it most days. Would definitely buy another, should I ever have to.

sarahb5, Nov 20, 6:45am
I'll do my best - Mr 17 discovered a recipe on Facebook yesterday for No Bake Nutella Cheesecakes which I think he's going to make for our desserts only meal at Christmas

toadfish, Nov 20, 7:40am
Wow that's a coincidence David4T

I have a roasting dish that my husband had that used to belong to his mother (sadly deceased) When I inherited 24 years ago it was missing a bakalite (sp) handle so I go DH to take the other off to may it more uniform.Its yellow would you believe and still gets used 2-3 times a week.everyweek, wouldn't be without.

toadfish, Nov 20, 7:40am
Wow that's a coincidence davidt4

I have a roasting dish that my husband had, that used to belong to his mother (sadly deceased) When I inherited it 24 years ago it was missing a bakalite (sp) handle so I go DH to take the other off to may it more uniform.Its yellow would you believe and still gets used 2-3 times a week.everyweek, wouldn't be without.

fendi3, Nov 20, 8:24am
Thanks heaps to everyone for all your help as very much appreciated!