Cutting Cakes Horizontally

carlosjackal, Nov 8, 1:15am
Anyone ever had the problem of cutting a cake horizontally and not have it cut perfectly!

Thought I'd share this vid clip I've just viewed. I was just about to cut a cake in half and was going to use nylon fising line but thought there must be a more accurate way of cutting a sponge/ cake in half.

http://www.ehow.com/video_4948734_cutting-2layer-cakes.html

fifie, Nov 8, 2:13am
Good video, Done a lot of cakes and found it hard to get the perfect level cut. Like the way she measured and used those markers all round as a guide line,Used to tremble at the thought of cuttingtop off a large one to get it level for icing lol.

kiwibubbles, Nov 8, 8:51am
you can buy a cake leveller for about $15 at Stevens - they are da bomb! lol

carlosjackal, Nov 8, 9:03am
Must have a look at them next time I'm in Stevens - sounds like a handy gadget!

sarahb5, Nov 8, 9:59pm
I usually just use my eye-o-meter and serated bread knife if I'm cutting a cake horizontally but perhaps I'm not as fussy as others.

carlosjackal, Nov 9, 12:15am
I'm a bit of a perfectionist so it has to be just perfect! LOL!

eastie3, Nov 9, 5:32am
I pop the cake in the freezer to firm up then go for it with a serrated knife. The result isn't always perfect so the link that OP posted will be useful.Thanks.

rarogal, Nov 9, 6:29am
Yes Ive see those, and must get one, would make my christmas gateau look just perfect!

vonkrum, Nov 10, 3:20am
I saw once where they put toothpicks around the level they wanted and then had a string of some sort that then went thru the cake at that level.Its hard otherwise to get it even.Sometimes Ive cooked the cake in two pieces.

kara101, Nov 10, 6:50am
Use a pottery wire cutter rather than a knife.

carlosjackal, Nov 10, 6:58am
Earlier today I successfully sliced as per the vid clip I posted here (post#1) - easy - can't go wrong!