Venison safe to eat when

jayjay54, Nov 8, 12:09am
I heard that venison tasted less gamey if eaten within 2 or 3 days after killing does anyone know if this is correct!

uli, Nov 8, 1:03am
beaker would know LOL

lythande1, Nov 8, 1:30am
If you don't like gamey, eat cows.

beaker59, Nov 8, 1:35am
Yes less gamey for sure and the best cuts are pretty good fresh too, They are the bits noone else gets to see because the hunter eats them before he/she comes home. Fresh fillet mmmmm and the mini fillet (well I call it that a small fillet against the backbone in the neck region) also the pluck :) mmmmm and kidneys.

Ageing though makes the meat much better on all counts. Gameyness is a desireable attribute to most people not that I truely can say I know what gameness really is, meat from the supermarket tastes bland by comparison to properly looked after meat though.

jayjay54, Nov 8, 1:36am
ridiculous answer to a serious question and Thanx have got plenty of beef

jayjay54, Nov 8, 1:38am
thank you beaker appreciate that as several thoughts from the local hunters confused my taste buds . I don't find fallow gamey but can't eat red deermeat

beaker59, Nov 8, 1:47am
Fallow are a small deer, small breeds taste the best :) Fallow are also grazers (prefer to eat grass rather than larger deer who prefer to browse on trees).

Red deer are very variable a yearling for instince would be young and tender also if as the one I got 3 weeks ago from an area rich in feed they are fat then they can be the best eating there is. A full grown rutting stag though can be tough as old boots and very very strong flavoured and give off a distingtive odour when cooking then you have everything in between.

Our biggest deer the Sambar is less thought of as an eating deer but a young one on good feed will be good too.

Hunters in the main shoot whats available (sometimes they get to choose but not always) thus the meat can be vairiable also the meat has the added issue of having to be carried out or butchered in the field all things which can influence how it tastes.

Happy to answer any other questions.

jayjay54, Nov 8, 3:37am
thanks very much beaker I have had fallow before and noticed how similar it can be to hoggetin taste. have been offered a young one but the (giver)said he'd keep it hanging 3 weeks before he delivered it although in past when we have shot one its mostly been eaten within that time. Many thanks for your ex descriptions

rainrain1, Nov 8, 4:25am
It is definately safe to eat within 2 or 3 days.Was given fresh killed young venison recently, (the day after it was shot)and I'll swear it was the best I have ever tasted.Wild, not farmed

uli, Nov 8, 4:54am
I don't think we discussed "safe to eat" here! It is most likely still "safe to eat" after a week.

It was more the taste that was important.

uli, Nov 8, 4:54am
I don't think we discussed "safe to eat" here! It is most likely still "safe to eat" after a week.

It was more the taste that was important.

But I agree the title is somewhat misleading.

whitehead., Nov 8, 4:55am
soak in salt and cold water over night to remove gamey flavour works well with rabbits that have not been bled

rainrain1, Nov 8, 5:09am
Well smack my fingers uli

pussy01, Nov 8, 6:47am
best venison i ever ate was hanging in the bush for several weeks.the wasps actually ate burrows through it.cut the hard outside off and the steaks were melt in the mouth with no sign of rot or bone taint

cgvl, Nov 8, 9:46am
soaked in milk can also help to remove some of the gamey taste.
I have a rabbit recipe that says to soak in vinegar and water for at least ½ hour.

beaker59, Nov 8, 12:52pm
I do this with rabbits too.

I actually have never had red meat go off as such if looked after, kept dry exposed to air in a cool place it will dry out before it goes off as such. Stick it in a plastic bag or allow it to stay wet and it will smell aweful in hours. Thus weeks hanging in a cool place in the bush with something to keep the rain off it will indeed last for weeks and taste as delicious as described.

One thing with wild venison and other game meat is people find it different texture to what they are used to mainly because it has very low fat it has quite a different mouth feel when eating. Also the flesh has worked in its life and had to struggle to keep fed at times so it has a firmer more substantial taste and texture, its an aquired taste but once you have it nothing else will do.

If a family member is a hunter then consider getting a mincer most game meat minced up with some fat from domestic animals like pork, beef or sheep fat is really nice. Tonight for dinner after work I had a patty of venison mince(I used actual venison fat in this one as got lucky and scored a fat hind last time) and it was delicious succulent and tasty.