Chef candles

samsnan, Nov 6, 9:29pm
Have just been told that these are very good at taking cooking smells from a kitchen. Whereabouts could I buy these please! Preferably Manukau or south a little. TIA

245sam, Nov 6, 9:44pm
samsnan, I have seen those candles - from memory, at one of our Christchurch Briscoes stores, in the area where they have the electrical goods such as grills, deep fryers, etc.

Hope that helps.:-))

sarahb5, Nov 6, 10:32pm
Vanilla scented candles are also good for removing cooking smells if you can't find the actual chefs ones

sarahb5, Nov 6, 11:17pm
Stevens also sell them and Living & Giving sell tealight versions as well

red2, Nov 6, 11:19pm
Was a really good candle shop in the Manukau Mall or Living and Giving are still there anyway I think

cookessentials, Nov 7, 12:16am
One of the best ones you can get is the "Prices chef's candle" Most cookware stores sell them. I have seen them in Stevens in Palmerston North so would imagine that all branches sell them

jessie981, Nov 7, 2:51am
Just bought Prices (burn time 40hrs) from Stevens for $14.99.
c.e the one I bought from you was nice too.

fugazi71, Nov 7, 9:10am
Crisp home dot co dot nz

jessie981, Nov 8, 3:55am
Expensive. Same burn time & $26.

bappy, Nov 8, 8:46pm
I have always just used ordinary candles and they seem to have worked.I never heard of chef candles until now.Question for those with a more scientific background than me, do you think there would be any difference between chef and ordinary candles! Sometimes these manufacturers just prey on our gullibility and ignorance

sarahb5, Nov 8, 9:55pm
I haven't tried a specific chef's candle but vanilla scented ones have always worked for me, and they're a lot cheaper.If you want to make your candles last longer though (ie. slower burn time) keep them in the freezer until you are ready to light them.

jessie981, Nov 8, 10:07pm
They do give off a pleasant smell, whereas ordinary candles don't.

sarahb5, Nov 8, 10:12pm
There are lots of scented candles that give off a pleasant smell - the vanilla ones make my house smell lovely.I have different smells for different times of the year - they all make my house smell nice.

katalin2, Nov 8, 11:19pm
I have never heard of these till reading this thread- daughter was going to Steven's yesterday for a present for a friend and asked her to get me one- cooked fish last night and as we have an open plan home the smell usually lingers inspite of powerful extractor- have to say most impressed with this candle, no residual smell left at all, will definitely spread the word about how effective it is. Big thank you for posters giving information about Stevens.

jessie981, Nov 9, 12:34am
Ballantynes have the small tree light ones (or did).

cookessentials, Nov 11, 8:56am
The chef's candles are different to "ordinary" candles in that they have various ingredients that counteract cooking smells. Things like bergamot, lemongrass and the like. The Prices ones are fabulous. Prices have been making candles for a very long time and they are by appointment to Her Majesty, the Queen, so they are very good and do what they are intended for.

This is the chef's candle. They also do a lovely household candle.
http://www.prices-candles.co.uk/products/productdetails.asp!product=FLC001016&returnpage=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eprices%2Dcandles%2Eco%2Euk%2Fproducts%2Fproductlist%2Easp%3Frange%3DFresh%2520Air

nfh1, Nov 11, 9:00am
I love Prices Candles, used to live just down the road from their Outlet store - I was devastated when I found out I could not bring my stock here when we emigrated!