Chef Training

janudi, Mar 20, 3:25am
Can anyone recommend the best place to train to be a chef? Always been a keen cook and baker, I would love to train to become a pastry chef. I don't really know where to go, there are heaps of places around,but I'd really like to go the best........ especially if they offer part time or evening classes. Any advice or ideas would be truely appreciated. thanks

davidt4, Mar 20, 4:00am
AUT offers the Diploma in Culinary Arts, which is a two year qualification.It includes patissierie.It has some highly regarded tutors, including Ray McVinnie.

janudi, Mar 20, 6:32am
Thanks davidt4

janudi, Mar 21, 3:25am
Can anyone recommend the best place to train to be a chef! Always been a keen cook and baker, I would love to train to become a pastry chef. I don't really know where to go, there are heaps of places around,but I'd really like to go the best. especially if they offer part time or evening classes. Any advice or ideas would be truely appreciated. thanks

janudi, Mar 22, 12:53am
Does anyone else have any info, I'm really looking for something part time, evenings or weekends etc. Thanks.

cookessentials, Mar 22, 1:41am
http://www.foodandwine.co.nz/nz_school_food_wine_parttime.htm
There is a certificate in cookery as well as cookery and hospitality. Most of the pastry chef positions with other institutions seem to be full time.

cookessentials, Mar 22, 1:42am

alby100, Mar 22, 2:49am
if you're in Auckland - Sky City
if you want something longer term, and you need to be totally committed, then the NZDF is the place to go, they actually have competition teams that compete on the world stage (and i don't mean Afghanistan...)

With the NZDF you will be trained up to the level required to cook for people such as Queen Elizabeth... or a BBQ for King William...

ribzuba, Mar 22, 3:31am
if you want to do pastry then you don't need to train as a chef first.for pastry the best training really is overseas...

janudi, Mar 23, 12:53am
Does anyone else have any info, I'm really looking for something part time, evenings or weekends etc. Thanks.

alby100, Mar 23, 2:49am
if you're in Auckland - Sky City
if you want something longer term, and you need to be totally committed, then the NZDF is the place to go, they actually have competition teams that compete on the world stage (and i don't mean Afghanistan.)

With the NZDF you will be trained up to the level required to cook for people such as Queen Elizabeth. or a BBQ for King William.

AUT is great though also.

if you are after something less than the AUT course, look up NZ Bar and Resteurent School

ribzuba, Mar 23, 3:31am
if you want to do pastry then you don't need to train as a chef first.for pastry the best training really is overseas.

deus701, Mar 23, 4:09am
AUT patisserie course definately!

I highly recommend Arno Sturny who teaches 2nd year pastry students there. Arno was the guy who set up the whole pastry section in skycity. IMO, there are 4 pastry 'greats' in nz which are Arno Stuny (AUT), Christoph Ott (Langhams but not sure if he is still there or not), Marcus Braun (CPIT), & Robert Bok (Skycity).

There are also good pastry chefs around like Edmond Koh (works at Dawsons & was Pastry Chef of the Year 2004). If you work with him, he will take his time to teach you about pastry.

pr1ncesswst, Mar 23, 10:21pm
Or you can do what most of us now do and train in level 4 craft baking, which is now he same diff as gaining a pastry chef qual.I searched for ages for somewhere to study to become a pastry chef.I did the level 3 cookery at SIT, the 2nd year you can branch out and to patisserie or just mainstream.I decided after talking to tutors and actual pastry chefs not trained in NZ to make the swap to baking.It need to be level 4 craft though not plant or just plain level 3 etc or you miss the whole pastry sections.Am not sue where you could study this part-time though as most baking is done through apprenticeships and you work full-time.good luck :)

deus701, Mar 24, 4:09am
AUT patisserie course definately!

I highly recommend Arno Sturny who teaches 2nd year pastry students there. Arno was the guy who set up the whole pastry section in skycity. IMO, there are 4 pastry 'greats' in nz which are Arno Stuny (AUT), Christoph Ott (Langhams but not sure if he is still there or not), Marcus Braun (CPIT), & Robert Bok (Skycity).

There are also good pastry chefs around like Edmond Koh (works at Dawsons & was Pastry Chef of the Year 2004). If you work with him, he will take his time to teach you about pastry.

guest, Mar 28, 8:30am
x1
braunm@cpit.ac.nz