Peanut Brittle Help

sooz_16, Nov 4, 8:34am
My partner and I have tried to make peanut brittle but failed miserably twice. Any recipes that have been tested and worked! tia

elliehen, Nov 4, 9:17am
I have not made it, but I have eaten it in its country of origin and have a recipe book titled Best of the Best of Iowa, with this recipe in it:

PEANUT BRITTLE

1 cup sugar
1 cup raw peanuts
1 cup white corn syrup
1 teaspoon baking soda

Heat sugar and syrup until clear.Add raw peanuts and boil until it's amber in colour.Remove from the heat and add soda.Stir well (will be frothy).Pour into a well-buttered cookie sheet.Cool and break into pieces.

Note:You can buy corn syrup in the baking aisle of the supermarket - look for a jar brand 'Queen', labelled 'Glucose Syrup', yellow label with a red lid.

krazy_kat, Nov 4, 11:14am
The best recipe - made it over and over with various nuts it turns out great everytime!

170g nuts (roast them first - better flavour)
60ml water
55g Glucose syrup
60g unsalted butter
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda

Line a pan with well greased foil or baking paper (grease the foil or baking paper itself)

Combine sugar and water and bring to boil.Once boiling add Glucose Syrup.Contine cooking at high heat - brushing down the sides with brush dipped in water when required to wash down sugar crystals.If you have a candy thermometer, when it gets to 122 degrees, add butter but do not stir (swirl the pot but never stir)Continue cooking until the syrup turns a light golden.

Remove pan from head, add salt, nuts and baking soda and stir quickly.Pour mixture into prepared pan, tilting to make and even layer.

Once cool break into pieces and store in airtight container.

sooz_16, Nov 4, 7:07pm
Where do I find glucose syrup! Cant wait to try it! We are not going to let it beat us :D

elliehen, Nov 4, 9:00pm
As I said in my post #2 - in the baking aisle of the supermarket.Look for the Australian brand 'Queen' in a 500gm jar with a yellow label and a red lid.

krazy_kat, Nov 5, 8:11am
Oh and for something different I sometimes drizzle chocolate over the top!

sooz_16, Nov 5, 8:55am
How much sugar! It doesnt say :)

krazy_kat, Nov 6, 8:05am
Whoops!Sorry, was very late when I wrote it!

170g of sugar.

sooz_16, Nov 6, 8:33am
Thanks krazy_kat. We tried this recipe and it still didn't work haha
Im not sure where we are going wrong. It just goes hard and crumbly when we made it.
Did a microwave recipe and that came out better.

krazy_kat, Nov 8, 7:49am
Shall I make you some and send it to you!!I swear it works!

cmjbp, Nov 9, 6:29pm
Never stir.