Lamb flaps

Page 1 / 2
kelvin70, Oct 28, 9:19am
I'm looking for. Way to cook these.Any ideas!

kesley, Oct 28, 10:41am
They're full of connective tissue, so long cooking is definitely best. If you can get a long piece, you can spread it with stuffing and roll it up. To cook it I generally pot roast it, super low (130 or lower) for several hours or until all the gristle and nasty has broken down.
My first iteration of this is documented here: http://www.misscookie.co.nz/index.php!post=1415

motorbo, Oct 28, 11:19am
x1
i would rather eat veges.but that does not answer your question does it.i would slow cook it

janny3, Oct 28, 2:26pm
My Greek relatives used to slow cook chopped up lamb flaps in water for ages til soft. Then they cooked watercress with the flaps and added lemon juice and the lemon cases on the last few minutes to cut the oiliness.Island takeaways marinade the copped flaps in a soy, lemon and sugar mix til softened before baking like spare ribs.Delicious.

mjhdeal, Oct 28, 4:26pm
Google recipes for "breast of lamb" or "lamb breast" as that is what they are called in England, and you will find loads of good recipes. Like Kesley, I stuff and roll it. Here is the recipe I use :)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/recipes/5082360/Easter-2009-recipes-Stuffed-breast-of-lamb.html

rainrain1, Oct 28, 6:17pm
I sometimes strip off the meat from the flaps and add it to the neck chops for my Irish stew.

willyow, Oct 28, 7:29pm
They're a major contributor to obesity amongst Pacific Islanders whodo great big boil ups with them. Not recommended.

dibble35, Oct 28, 7:35pm
Think I had some of these from the butcher the other week. Sold as 'lamb strips' and marinated, I thought they were lamb spare ribs and grilled them. yuck, tough and very fatty. Wont make that mistake again

fifie, Oct 28, 11:05pm
IF its in one piece stuff it with breadcrumbs.herbs etc roll up tie with string 3/4 places to keep stuffing in.Rub all over with oil, crushed garlic, sprinkle with S/pepper, brown in hot frying pan all sides place in crockpot on top of a upturned saucer (this keeps it out of the fat as a bit comes out) drizzle a littleRed wine vinegar OR balsamic vinegar over it and cook. Can eat it sliced hot but its better the next day sliced cold. Long slow cooking is needed.

janny3, Dec 11, 1:28am
I like that stuffed idea.Thanks!

pericles, Dec 11, 1:30am
stuffed flaps used to be called colonial goose

antoniab, Dec 11, 3:16am
We had these the other day after going to a masterclass with Warren Turnball in AKL. He confit them and then deep fried them - extremely not good for you but each person only had 2 on their plate, and definitely not something you would eat every day.

uli, Dec 11, 4:21am
I cook them and feed them to the chooks - then eat the eggs and the chooks later .

pickles7, Dec 11, 4:49am
cook, for working dog, tucka.

rainrain1, Dec 11, 5:21am
I honestly don't know what happens to the mutton flaps nowdays, maybe they go down the offal hole with the guts

lcscott, Dec 11, 5:29am
exactly all they good for is the dogs!

clevercloggs, Dec 11, 5:42am
Bung it in the oven with a bit of water and salt - slow cook it and drain the hoards of fat that leaks continuously out of it.I have to say though - they are delicious!

duce3, Dec 11, 6:35am
I cut them up for the dog.it's too much work trying to get the fat off for people food.

fetish, Dec 11, 7:52pm
My Mum used to get these all the time when I was a kid, Foodtown used to sell them prestuffed, and she would put them in a casserole with sliced carrots, onions & potatoes over top, a basic casserole packet mix, then cook long and slow, and sorry but it tasted delish, I'd make it now if I could find the flaps !Talk about good memories :)

biggles45, Dec 11, 8:09pm
Our dogs refuse to eat them too!

wayne472, Dec 11, 8:20pm
Take the advice of others here and feed them to the dogs,they are not fit for human consumption!

rainrain1, Dec 11, 8:40pm
Fussy dog

gilligee, Dec 12, 12:00am
Yes, and all mutton stuffed was/is called Colonial Goose.

grifforama, Dec 12, 12:16am
complete and utter bollocks

carlosjackal, Dec 12, 12:17am
I like these wrapped in filo pastry. Will pop back later and post my recipe.