Best (tastiest) healthy substitute for butter

Page 2 / 3
lilyfield, Oct 11, 10:22pm
I use low fat cottage cheese instead ,for spread

lythande1, Oct 12, 3:51am
Husband says there is no substitute and they all taste like vaseline. LOL, personally I have never tasted vaseline.

cookiebarrel, Oct 12, 4:53am
lythande1, I have accidently and it is gross.So rice bran oil is as bad as canola, stink I have been using it thinking it was better.What should I be using then!One that I can afford or is there one!

vmax2, Oct 12, 5:27am
I use olive oil but only for dressings.Other than that I use coconut oil, butter and dripping.

bedazzledjewels, Oct 12, 5:28am
Avocado oil is good too. And duck fat and lard.

angel404, Oct 12, 7:03am
I do this as well when the butter gets to hard in the winter. Except I use avocado oil.

Oh and i don't keep it in the fridge though. I like my butter quite soft. We just have a small lidded tupperware container we kept a bit in at a time. The rest is kept in the fridge though.

dibble35, Oct 12, 8:56pm
I got a spreadable butter recipe off here ages ago with butter, oil and water all whizzed together. Last 2 times i've made it with olive oil and as i no longer have a blender have been using my hand mixer,seems to blend Ok, but the olive oil is to strong for me and it doesnt seem as spreadable as it used to be. Whats a healthy oil that doesnt have the strong taste of olive oil! I would have thought rice bran oil but not healthy according to some on here.

kay141, Oct 12, 9:52pm
The key word in your last sentence is "some". If you took diet advice from everyone here and all other forms of media, you would never eat or drink anything. So much of the quoted research is biased or flawed. You really need to do your own research and make your own decisions.

uli, Oct 13, 5:35am
That's right and how often have I come across a link on here that I read with interest. So why not look at all the info you can get. Even on a publicmessage board you will find things that you can think about and try out.

angel404, Oct 13, 5:40am
I use avocado oil, i find the olive oil far too strong as well.

kay141, Oct 13, 6:23am
Thanks uli but I suspect you are talking to dibble35 and not me. Am I correct!

ruby19, Oct 13, 9:20am
Butter lover here too! In sandwiches in stead ofbutter,maybe use hummus, avo or mayo.
I really don`t like the "spreads" the kids are the ones that use it as it is easier for them to spread when making their lunches.

gadgetman, Nov 9, 11:28pm
Organic butter perhaps!
If you want to be healthier then cut wheat off your diet. I do not mean Gluten Free but just wheat free. So you can have spelt scones with that organic butter, yumm.

tracyj, Nov 10, 6:34am
I love butter too but we use flora pro-activ buttery most of the time. It actually tastes more close to butter than anything else I have tried. I have no idea if it really lowers your cholesterol though. It is expensive too :(

gadgetman, Nov 11, 4:27am
From a country of high rates of heart disease and high cholestrol comes also ahealthy butter alternative. I am talking about Benecol from Finland.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beneco-
l

I am not sure if you can get it anywhere in NZ butyoucould perhaps import it from the manufacturer or ask these guys to import it www.safka.co.nz. They import rye bread and this product would go nicely with Finn Crisp crackers

gadgetman, Nov 11, 4:27am
From a country of high rates of heart disease and high cholestrol comes also ahealthy butter alternative. I am talking about Benecol from Finland.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beneco-
l
The manufacturer claims that Benecol actually lowers your cholestrol
I am not sure if you can get it anywhere in NZ butyoucould perhaps import it from the manufacturer or ask these guys to import it : www.safka.co.nz. They import rye bread and this product would go nicely with Finn Crisp crackers

gadgetman, Nov 11, 4:34am
Www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bene-
col
this link may work better!
Or just Google Benecol.

edited because I am having issues with Android keypad on my phone.

uli, Nov 11, 5:52am
I don't think it will. I had a discussion with my GP about all these ideas of cutting back cholesterol in food some years ago. I asked him if this a good idea to lower the cholesterol level in the blood (knowing that the liver manufactures far more than you could eat anyway).

He said that if you eat less cholesterol with your food then the liver simply makes more to make up the shortfall . and after a while your blood cholesterol level actually goes up!

carlosjackal, Nov 11, 6:02am
I LOVE butter and as they say: "butter butters better" LOL! However, several years ago while holidaying in Hawaii my husband and I tasted "Can't Believe it's Not Butter" Lite and true to it's name it tasted EXACTLY like creamy butter. It was made with buttermilk and we loved it so much we bought some home with us! I made enquiries with the manufacturers of Can't Believe it's Not Butter as to whether it could be made available here. Within a year, it was on our shelves (probably a coincidence! ;)- it was nice but not quite the same distinct flavour, though that said, the Lite variety was not to my knowledge available. For whatever reason, I haven't seen it sold anywhere since.such a shame! Oh well, maybe as a treat on our next visit up there we will just have to bring some more home.

orion_audio, Nov 11, 6:55am
We're lucky enough in this country to have healthy grass fed butter available for cheap. I don't know why anyone would want to substitute it.

uli, Nov 11, 7:41am
Wow! You got a DAIRY product (made with buttermilk) through MAF at the airport! Did you declare it!

carlosjackal, Nov 11, 8:47am
Sure did! Wasn't a problem at all! I think possibly because it was packaged ie. with preservatives!!It's quite a while ago now, however i do distinctly recall the customs officer in th US joking about it and saying: but New Zealand has the best butter in the world.why do you want to take this stuff back home with you!!Going through NZ customs it was very easy. Packaged foods eg. packaged soup powder etc. is fine to bring in.

gardie, Nov 11, 5:17pm
Thanks to nauru who posted the recipe, we never buy margarine.Beat 1 pack of soft butter until creamy, slowly add 350ml oil (I use rice bran or grapeseed) and once all incorporated, add 150ml cold water slowly.I use this as a spread and for cooking (but not baking).

bedazzledjewels, Nov 11, 8:47pm
Why would you make healthy butter less healthy by adding unhealthier seed oils! Puzzled.

uli, Nov 12, 1:10am
Because of "convenience" - it then spreads on fluffy white bread without killing the slice - straight out of the fridge.