Removing lables from jars

ford194, Oct 13, 10:13pm
Has anyone got a sollution for removing those sticky unsightly lables from jam jars or the likes, please! always nicers to give a jar of jam without a scungy old lable attached ! :)
Thanks Marg D

lilyfield, Oct 13, 10:17pm
I just use chemico and a pot scrubber. But expensive "desolve it" works very well. Soak and scrape with a knife first.

patty1955, Oct 13, 10:20pm
I soak the jars in very hot soapy water to get most of the label off.The sticky glue residue that is left I use lemon steelo soap pads, works for me.

carlosjackal, Oct 13, 10:24pm
Turps is good (Turpentine)

davidt4, Oct 13, 10:32pm
Eucalyptus oil will remove anything that won't budge after soaking in hot water.

ford194, Oct 13, 11:48pm
Cheers, thanks all, I now have a few remedies to try out.

denbru, Oct 14, 12:43am
Would you believe peanut butter removes labels. Thats all I use for any labels, even sticky price labels on books that you want to remove to give as a gift.

bernice1, Oct 14, 12:47am
to remove labels from jars, fill the jar with boiling water, leave for 1 minute them just peel off the label.Simple as that.NB Ensure that the label does not get wet!If there is any sticky reside left, this can easily be removed with a little Jif.

duckmoon, Oct 14, 1:07am
I soak and then get the glue off with a goldilocks.

Different brands have different glue.some easy, others not

lulu239, Oct 14, 5:15pm
Duckmoon is quite right. They all have different glues. Pam's jars are the easiest to get off. What will work for one type is useless for others. On a different note, i am amazed that people sell jars with their labels still on!

ford194, Oct 16, 7:17pm
Hey thanks all, I like the peanut butter one.as I dont like peanut butter but keep it for the hungry grandkids, I can use that without any guilt ! does make one wonder whats in the peanut butter besides the peanuts.a good use for the Chinese peanut butter eh! !
simple solutions, and thanks again Marg D

carlosjackal, Oct 16, 7:22pm
I find mineral turpentine does the job in no time then I simply rinse the jar/s and put them straight in the dishwasher.

For the stubborn sticky labels on books and magazines, I have found that perfume gets the stickers off really easily - I think it's the alcohol in the perfume that is what removes the stickiness.

smiggles15, Oct 16, 8:35pm
Olive oil works for me! Just cover the residual glue in oil, leave for about half an hour then wipe off.