I have a 3 & a 7 year old coming for tea

Page 2 / 2
elliehen, Oct 16, 10:45am
That's an interesting observation, sarah.Quite a few small children like to keep foods separate.I had one little visitor who put the side of her hand firmly across her plate to stop one item touching another while she ate!

sarahb5, Oct 16, 7:54pm
Yes he was a bit like that - he would pretty much eat anything but not "mixed up".I can't remember what age he grew out of it but he obviously did because his favourite dinners now are "mixed up".He also went through a phase of not eating cooked vegetables, and then there was the no sauce/gravy period - how on earth he got to be 6' tall I don't know!

jennie5963, Oct 17, 1:15am
Aren't they funny sometimes! How time have changed though, I can't imagine my Mum accommodating little quirks which (like you) I probably would.

sarahb5, Oct 17, 1:46am
But I don't think my mum would've had to - I grew up in the 60s and spaghetti bolognese or pizza was considered pretty fancy back then, meals were much simpler.I actually don't remember much of what we ate for dinner back then .

jennie5963, Oct 17, 3:00am
Same era as me. Sunday was roast, Monday was Shepherds pie, Tues-Thurs boiled potatoes, see through cabbage or mushy cauli, sausage, mince or schnitzel, Friday was takeaways, Sat depended how many were home whether she bothered going to too much trouble or not. hehehe

sarahb5, Oct 17, 5:52am
I grew up in the UK - never saw schnitzel until I came here and my mum's vegetables were lucky if they even looked at boiling water let alone went in it (ie. hardly cooked at all) and she rarely did boiled potatoes either - they were mashed, or sauteed, or roast unless they were the small new ones.I vaguely remember some things but not much.I think because mum and dad grew up on rations they made a huge effort to give us a very varied diet as far as fresh fruit and vegetables were concerned.I don't think we had takeaways every week because we didn't live anywhere near enough to get them.