Different ways with Silverbeet?

uli, Oct 18, 12:33am
Easy (and not authentic) Spanakopita (Greek spinach and egg pie)

Into a huge bowl put:
several sauteed onions,
1 tub cottage cheese,
2 cups grated cheddar cheese,
2 cups chopped spinach or silverbeet (or more!),
1T nutmeg,
2 crushed garlic cloves,
1T salt,
6 eggs.

Mix all with a spoon.
Line a big dish with 5 layers of filo pastry.
Fill pie.
Top with 4 or 5 layers filo pastry.
Cook one hour on 180C or till set.

uli, Oct 18, 12:34am
Traditional Spanakopita (Greek spinach and egg pie)

1kg fresh spinach or silverbeet leaves,
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley,
1/2 cup chopped fresh dill,
2 cups finely chopped green onions,
1 1/2 tsp. fine Fine Grey Sea Salt,
1/4 cup Organic Extra-virgin Olive Oil,
3 cups chopped onion,
1/4 tsp. coarse ground black pepper,
250g feta cheese, crumbled, (traditionally made from sheeps milk, feta cheese from goat milk is also good),
14 filo leaves (usually sold frozen, thaw thoroughly!),
3/4 cup butter, melted.

Wash and clean the spinach. Discard the stems. Drain & cut the leaves into shreds.
Combine the spinach, parsley, dill, green onions and grey sea salt in a bowl. Let stand for 15 minutes, then press out all of the liquid.
Heat the extra virgin olive oil in a skillet and saute the 3 cups of chopped onions until soft and transparent.
Add the spinach mixture and saute for a few more minutes.
Add the feta cheese and black pepper.
Place each of 7 filo leaves in a buttered 25cm x 35cm baking pan, brushing each leaf with melted clarified butter.
Add the spinach mixture, spread into a thick layer then add remaining filo leaves, again brushing each leaf with melted butter.
Cut into approx. 7cm squares with a sharp knife.
Bake at 200 degrees C for 30 minutes or until golden brown.

glenleigh, Oct 19, 3:45am
I stir fry it, melt butter and cook some onions in pan, toss in the chopped washed silver beet and stir fry it til wilted.It tastes lovely, almost takes on a nutty flavour.

rainrain1, Oct 19, 3:52am
Cooked chopped silverbeet with 2 poached eggs on top makes a light meal

dwyn5, Oct 19, 4:04am
Peel and cut quite small some carrots - into pan first.
Then add washed and torn up silverbeet discarding the white stalks - tiny bit of water as there will be water still on the leaves.A few shakes of salt then cook on medium to low heat until carrots and beet are cooked.Drain off as much water as possible , chop up everything with a knife against pan side, pepper and a little butter melted into it.Yum! Almost like baby food!

tarshlove, Oct 19, 4:24am

motorbo, Oct 19, 4:31am
i will use the search bar to bump a thread of mine as soemone had a yummy idea for the whites

akjg, Oct 19, 7:03am
just bumped one I found on here that we tried tonight, really yummy.new favourite salad I think the thread is

rarogal, Oct 19, 7:06am
Isaw this posted by Westigal - sounds good:

Take a bunch of silver beet, yes silver beet, wash well and strip the leaves from the stems.
Slice it VERY finely.
take 1 orange and finely grate the rind into the silverbeet,chop orange in half then squeeze the juice of one half on top.Chop the other half into bite size pieces and add to silverbeet as well . Add 1/4 - 1/2 cup of any vinagrette dressing and toss lightly.Our choice is chilli and lime

This is your basic recipe. To this I had chopped tomato, avacado, fetta, any thing you like in the salad line.
I am not a great fan of cooked silverbeet but this is soooo yummy it is now a family favourite.
Will never bother with lettuce again. And it looks so pretty on the plate

ferrit47, Oct 19, 7:16am
I steam mine in pot with Pepper & Salt & Bit of Butter.

babytears, Oct 19, 7:27am
The Lone Star coleslaw recipe calls for 2 large leaves without stalks finely sliced to be added. it so yummy

dilligaf_dah, Oct 19, 10:16am
Use the silverbeet as pastry just blanch quickly then place in dish, baste with beaten egg We usually have three thickness so baste each layer with egg.
Real yummy and less fattening.Nice for meat pies, bacon and eggs pies and quiches or smaller savouries

vixen, Oct 19, 10:32am
You could use it in lasagne, or make a spiced chickpea and silverbeet casserole.

beaker59, Oct 19, 12:59pm
Mix cooked Silver Beet with yesterdays left over mashed potato about twice as much potato as SB add an egg salt pepper then form into patties egg wash( a messy business) then breadcrumb fry in butter.

.jillybeen., Oct 19, 5:10pm
I use it in a cottage pie.Layer of mince etc. layer of cooked silverbeet with stalkschoppedin a cheese sause, layer of mashed potato or mashed kumera or mashed carrots/potato together.Yum

daleaway, Oct 19, 10:37pm
Make spanakopita with onion, silverbeet and feta cheese.

sclaredy_cat, Oct 19, 11:38pm
Silverbeet Pie
Line a pie dish with pastry (we like flaky) and bake blind.
Cook a potful of sliced silverbeet, stalks and all, so you have about 6 cups of cooked silverbeet at the end. Drain.
Make about 3 cups of white sauce, but at the end, add half a packet of smoked cheese slices and let it melt through. I only say slices because believe it or not, it needs to be that 'processed' kind. I haven't found that in a block for a long time.
Carefully mix the silverbeet with 3 or 4 chopped hardboiled eggs.
Tip this into the pie shell, then pour the sauce over the top. Use a fork to try and get it to run into the filling, but you still want a bit of a layer on top.
Then, add a packet - whatever size is up to you but even a kiddie packet is fine) of PLAIN potato chips, crushed.
Then bake the whole thing until it's heated through. I know it sounds awful, but it has been a family favourite in my house for years - the kids even ask for it on their birthdays!!!!Quantities are up to you obviously but what I've given above serves 4 or 5. I have made huge ones in roasting dishes before too, great for when you have a crowd coming for lunch and don't want to break the bank :)

jbsouthland, Oct 20, 1:14am

kiwimade64, Oct 20, 1:32am
I steam silver beet then mix through some mint sauce.When our kids were young they hated silverbeet with a vengance lol until I was told to try it this way and ommmg they couldn't get enough of it.I also steam it with a bit of cabbage sometimes (still mix through some mint sauce).

uli, Oct 27, 8:23pm
bump for jen.sarah