Best potatoes to use for home deep fryer

cookiebarrel, Oct 10, 11:37am
chips.Trying to cut the cost of our occasional treat even more.Was wondering which made the best chips or were the best to use.

nzhuia, Oct 10, 5:37pm
Moonlight

kiwitrish, Oct 10, 8:29pm
Agria are the best for chips.

maggie197, Oct 10, 11:07pm
I'd second agria too - crispy on the outside, fluffy inside.yum.

quickenden1, Oct 10, 11:34pm
A third vote for Agria they are the only potatoes I ever use for roasting/chippies!

fifie, Oct 11, 12:03am
Agriachips cut not to thick, pre cook till just starting to colour 170 deg, drain well, turn out onto a large tray with baking paper or paper towels on it. Spread out so they are not touching leave to go cold. When nearly ready to eat heat fryer190degs tip chips into basket fry till golden, dosen't take long nice crispy chips if double cooked.

buzzy110, Oct 11, 1:20am
Has my vote. Par boil your spuds first as well. They cook up much nicer and take less time in the fryer.

cleggy, Oct 17, 10:58pm
Agria are the best.

chynna2, Oct 18, 11:35am
Agria!

If I have time I pat the cut raw potato down with a tea towel to take the moisture away (not sure if it does, but my chips always turn out great!).

Also - to get nice chips make sure you cook the chips twice.Cook them the first time for about 2-3 minutes.Leave to stand for at least 5 minutes.Then put back into fryer until golden (about 3 mins), then shake the basket when you bring it out of the oil to get rid of excess oil.

ruby19, Oct 18, 6:59pm
Another agria fan here too!