Amish Friendship Bread Question

Page 2 / 2
griffo4, Oct 20, 6:59am
Thank you Uli l got my bug out this morning and fed it and then again at lunch time and by 4pm it was heading over the top of its bowl so l made the carrot cake and we had it for pudding and it was so nice l will be using it alot more
l fed the left over and put it in the fridge and will pull it out on Monday and use to make the fruit and nut cake
Thanks for posting

griffo4, Oct 20, 7:00am
l only used less than 1/4 cup of starter not the whole lot

buzzy110, Oct 20, 11:01am
Thank you for your kind words Griffo4. Uli's is many more levels up from me as well. There are not a lot of bread making books that deal solely in sourdough. I wish there were. I have 4 of Dean Brettschneider's recipe books and while they are all beautiful he only has a few sourdough recipes per book and they are all bread, nothing like Uli has offered in this thread.

gardie, Oct 20, 6:44pm
I've also heard that different environments can mean different yeasts and therefore slightly different flavours!True or not, it sounds very interesting.

griffo4, Oct 20, 8:41pm
Yes Buzzy it is so hard to find good info in one place that was why l was asking for you and Uli to put your expertise onto paper and l would be happy to pay for it via an auction on TM l have read alot and still have questions
Trying to get recipes is not easy either, well ones that l can do anyway

uli, Oct 21, 9:03pm
Yes they do.
Every kitchen has different bacteria in the air and all the grains grown in different soils in different areas of the world have different bacteria on them too - which are in the ground flour and will influence the composition and the taste of your sourdough.

So even if you import an ancient sourdough it will over time change in your own environment as you give it local water and mix in some of your air and all its inhabitants and feed it your grains.

uli, Nov 15, 4:54am
bump for timarubogan