What to take for a pot luck dinner

petax, Oct 19, 8:56am
need some suggestions, going to be mostly adults

r-mvz, Oct 19, 9:57am

lilyfield, Oct 19, 11:45pm
Greens, there is never enough of those on pot lucks.

bluecalico, Oct 20, 12:13am
Baked potatoes with sour cream.nice, crispy ones done in the oven.

kinna54, Oct 20, 1:35am
I always like to take a home made foccacia bread. and yep a vege dish, or maybe a lovely crunchy chicken salad.or a pasta salad, or a potato salad done with the whole baby potatoes, bacon, and a tangy creamy dressing.
What about something with some lovely fresh asparagus!
Also I find no-one ever takes anything yummy for dessert.its usually scungy dried out lammingtons, or soft chocolate eclairs,.

sarahb5, Oct 20, 1:41am
I usually take some bread and either a mixed or green salad or dessert of some sort - usually brownies with a bowl of whipped cream and/or strawberries

toadfish, Oct 20, 1:45am
Thats Oakhill Potatoes I think. they always go down well at a Pot luck.

And I agree aboutthe supermarket sponges, lamintons,choc eclairs.
If you are not a dessert maker then bring something else.
with the exception of Eves and the Cheescake factory.
But thats just my opinion.

daisyhill, Oct 20, 2:15am
A cheeseboard makes a nice alternative to dessert for a lot of people. A few different cheeses, couple of types of cracker, and some seedless grapes and apple slices go down very well indeed and people can have as little or much as they're hungry for.

sarahb5, Oct 20, 3:50am
A decent potato gratin is also popular

daisyhill, Oct 20, 4:28am
Mmmmm, potato gratin is great and it keeps/reheats very well if it's not needed at the time purely because there is so much other food. Good suggestion.

nik12, Oct 20, 10:34am
Mum always used to do mac n cheese with a tin of salmon (use the juice as some of the liquid for the cheese sauce) and a tin of creamed corn. yum!
I also agree, vege is usually lacking so a brocauli salad would be nice :-)

daisyhill, Oct 20, 10:52am
Putting salmon in mac and cheese sounds lovely to me but will probably lead to bitter disappointment among the vegetarians :-O

lotsagiggles, Oct 20, 11:07am
I agree with breads. You could make this it is beautiful and so easy. http://www.foodinaminute.co.nz/Recipes/Tomato-Focaccia-Loaf I always add some fresh herbs and garlic to it. Also galric bread is quick and easy.

gardie, Oct 20, 6:39pm
I agree.Most people take protein based dishes.I like a rice/pasta/potato salad alongside a green salad.The home made bread goes down a treat too.

theanimal1, Oct 21, 4:16am
I usually take this .

Rice Stuffed

Silverbeet Leaves

Ingredients:

Big bunch of silverbeet

(preferably about 12 leaves)

1 onion, finely chopped

2 heaped Tbls of peanut butter

1 tsp cumin seeds

1 cup rice

1 can chopped tomatoes

1 Tbls dried oregano

1 cup grated cheese (optional)

2 Tbls oil

Salt and pepper

Method:

Lightly fry the onion and cumin seeds in oil, add the

rice, fry briefly then add 2cups water and half a

tsp salt. Bring to the boil, turn down to a low simmer,

cover and cook for 12 mins, then turn off and leave

the pan tightly covered for a further 12 mins.

Add the peanut butter to the rice, stir to combine.

Add the cheese to the rice and peanut butter

mixture, stir to combine.

Trim the silverbeet leaves from the bunch and run

the edge of a wooden spoon along the spines of

the silverbeet, pressing firmly to crush the spines.

This makes the leaves much easier to roll up.

Divide the rice mixture between the 12 leaves

and roll them up.

Place the rolled up leaves into a shallow baking dish.

Blend the can of tomatoes with the oregano,tsp

salt and a cup of water and tip over the leaves.

Cover tightly with foil and bake at 170°C for an hour.

theanimal1, Oct 21, 4:17am
And this for dessert .

Grasshopper Pie

Don't let the name fool you, this is one delicious pie.

Ingredients

* Melted butter, for greasing

* 250g packet plain chocolate-flavoured biscuits

* 1/2 cup desiccated coconut

* 180g unsalted butter, melted, cooled

* 1 cup milk

* 1/2 bunch mint

* few drops peppermint essence

* 3 egg yolks

* 1/2 cup caster sugar

* 1 tsp cornflour

* 1/4 cup cold water

* 1 Tbsp gelatine

* 1/4 cup crème de menthe

* 300ml thickened cream

* Extra cream, to serve (optional)

Method

1. Brush a 20cm round springform tin with melted butter and line the base with baking paper. Process biscuits in a food processor until fine crumbs form, then transfer to a large bowl. Add coconut and butter and stir until well combined. Spoon biscuit mixture into prepared tin. Use a straight-sided sturdy glass to press biscuit mixture evenly up the sides and across the base of tin. Put biscuit-lined tin in freezer for 10 minutes.

2. Combine milk and mint in a medium heavy-based pan and put over a low heat for 3-4 minutes or until small bubbles form around the edge. Remove pan from heat and stand to cool. Strain milk through a fine sieve and discard mint. Whisk egg yolks, sugar and cornflour in a bowl. Slowly add mint-infused milk to egg-yolk mixture, whisking constantly. Return custard to pan and stir, constantly, on a medium heat until it thickens. Remove from heat and cover top of custard with plastic wrap, to prevent a skin forming.

3. Pour water into a jug, sprinkle with gelatine and whisk with a fork to combine. Stand gelatine for 5 minutes, to allow it to soften and swell. Microwave gelatine mixture on HIGH/100% for

30-40 seconds or until gelatine has dissolved. Allow to cool slightly. Add gelatine mixture and crème de menthe to custard. Stir until well combined.

4. Pour custard into a large mixing bowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until mixture is cold and starts to thicken, but not set. Using an electric hand beater, beat cream until soft

peaks form. Add cream to cold custard and fold in using a large metal spoon. Spoon custard mixture into prepared biscuit shell and refrigerate pie for 2-3 hours to set. Serve Grasshopper pie with extra cream, if desired.

theanimal1, Oct 21, 4:21am
How about this .!

New Potato Asparagus and Lemon Salad

This perfect combination of flavours makes a tasty weekend lunch.

500g Baby new potatoes, scrubbed

300g Asparagus spears, peeled and cut into 6cm lengths

4 Lemons, peeled and cut into segments

Small bunch chives, cut into 3cm lengths

Salt& freshly ground black pepper

Dressing

1 Lemon, zest and juice for dressing

60ml Olive oil

2 Chilies, small, seeded and finely sliced (optional)

1 tsp Dijon mustard

Pinch sugar

Salt & freshly ground black pepper

Cover potatoes in salted water and simmer until tender. Drain. Meanwhile simmer the asparagus in another pan of salted water for 3-4 minutes. Drain and refresh under cold running water. Make the dressing by whisking together lemon zest and juice, olive oil, chilies, mustard and sugar; add salt and pepper to taste. Place warm potatoes, asparagus and lemon segments into a serving bowl and toss very gently with the dressing to coat. Take care not to break up the lemon or damage asparagus. Scatter the chives on top and serve.

theanimal1, Oct 21, 4:22am
Lebanese Green Beans

1kg bag sliced green beans, thawed, œ kg fresh tomatoes or 2 tins of chopped tomatoes, 2 small onions, 5 cloves garlic, sliced, 1 t salt, œ t coriander powder, 50ml olive oil - or enough to cover

the bottom of your large soup pot

Chop garlic and onions. Fry them in the olive oil in a large soup pot. Add tomatoes and heat until bubbling. Add the green beans, salt, coriander and chilli. Cover and heat until it starts boiling and then turn down to low for another 30-40 mins, stirring every 5 mins until green beans are very tender. Can be served with bread or rice as a really cheap and filling main or as a side vegetable dish. Lovely hot or cold as a salad.

fantalantique

deedonk, Oct 21, 5:05am
What about homemade sushi! Variety to suit vegetarians as well. Sausage and egg pie is quick and cheap.
I also make Spicy chickpea and vegetable chilli done in the crockpot. I take a pottle of sour cream and they can put a dollop of that on. Really good on nachos too.
Homemade merianges(don't mind the spelling) with lemon curd and whipped cream to the side, so they can help themselves.
Good luck :-)

vintagekitty, Oct 21, 5:32am
Fresh steamed asparagus with Hollandaise sauce!