Jellied beetroot.what jelly?

rarogal, Sep 14, 3:33am
x1
Hi, years ago I used to make a jelly with beetroot, using some of the juice, but can't recall which flavored jelly. Anyone remember!Lovely for BBQ's and with cold meat.

rainrain1, Sep 14, 3:38am
blackcurrant maybe, or raspberry

nanasee1, Sep 14, 3:44am
Lime was our family choice, it adds a little sharpness

coniproducts, Sep 14, 3:47am
I use raspberry and a little vinegar to cut through the sweetness.

zappi, Sep 14, 4:16am
410g can Wattie's Chunky Beetroot
85g pkt boysenberry jelly
2 tsp cider or white wine vinegar
. Drain Wattie’s Chunky Beetroot and reserve liquid. Place boysenberry jelly crystals in a bowl and pour over 3/4 cup boiling water, stir to dissolve, add reserved beetroot juice and cider vinegar, stir to combine and set aside to cool for 15 minutes.

2. Mix in beetroot and pour into 2 1/2 cup capacity non-metallic mould, refrigerate overnight or until set. Serve with salad greens.

This was on food in a minute some time ago.The diced beetroot I find nicer than slices.Always a favourite in our household.

rarogal, Sep 14, 4:23am
Thankyou I think now it may have been boysenberry, but lime sounds like a great option. I used to make this more than 20 years ago, great to hear it has become popular again.

karenz, Sep 14, 6:42am
I can remember someone I know using Port Wine jelly, don't know if you can still get it even.

nauru, Sep 14, 7:06am
I used to make it with the PW jelly but haven't seen it around for a while.

nanasee1, Sep 14, 8:41am
Port wine jelly is available in Australia - one to bring home next time you visit!A much wider selection of jelly flavours is available in supermarkets there.

quarterpasttwo, Sep 14, 9:27am
port wine jelley countdown home brand , from memory was hard to find and u will prob need to ask where it is

muffycaz, Sep 14, 10:48pm
Try this - I make all the time and people always ask me for the recipe
sliced beetroot1 1/2tbspn gelatine
1/4c cold water1 1/4 c vinegar
1c boiling water1tbspn sugar
salt & pepper

Soak gelatine in cold water for 3min.Add all other ingredients and stir until gelatine is dissolved.Arrange sliced beetroot in a mould and gently pour in liquid.Chill

I dont use liquid if using canned beetroot

Yummy

rarogal, Sep 15, 12:48am
Thanks a Lot for all your suggestions!

daleaway, Sep 15, 12:51am
I saw plenty of port wine jelly packets in Countdown last week.

I also make it up for an adult dessert with port wine and tin of boysenberries. Use the drained berry juice and make it up to slightly less than the recommended quantity of liquid with port wine. Dissolve the crystals then add the boysenberries.