Cheap vodka

fogs, Sep 19, 2:23am
Can anyone help I need to buy cheap as possible vodka .I am making lemoncello so don't need good quality spirits. I live on the north shore and we aren't great drinkers so do not know where the best place to buy vodka and brandy (also making cherry brandy)

kirmag, Sep 19, 2:45am
Here in Hams, the liquor stores that are by dairys, you know local block of shops, have $9.99 vodka, it's much lower in alcohol content tho

olwen, Sep 19, 2:49am
I'd steer clear of the low alcohol stuff for this

kirmag, Sep 19, 3:06am
My mum made some for xmas last year, was good, better then the real stuff (my thought anyway, was no where near as potent as the good stuff) hehe

makespacenow, Sep 19, 3:24am
OP go for a good quality vodka. Don't get the chemical stuff. It will be bit deare than the cheapest nasty vodka but nicer. I got mine from Gilmours. Made my lemonicello 18 months ago (was pregnant so unable to sample) but my my what a treat! Also made a redcurrant flavoured vodja (hime grown currants) can't wait to sample that. So as well as price look what its made from.

fogs, Sep 19, 4:46am
Thanks for the advice. So how long did you wait to sample yours makespacenow.

angel404, Sep 19, 6:38am
As the others have said - dont use cheap vodka as it will taint your limoncello. Last time I made it I used Smirnoff red label. Was $30 for 1L.

mwood, Sep 19, 11:52pm
You need to make your own Vodka or Grappa for Limoncello - 40 % is just too low to extract the essential oils and aromatics.

-aimee, Sep 20, 11:40pm
fogs how do you make lemoncello!

makespacenow, Sep 20, 11:49pm
I waited for over a year as I was pregnant.
I would not use Smirnoff.
Yes if made from stronger alcohol (home made plum brandy/grappa etc) it will be much better (as base would be around 60-80%+ alcohol).
But a good quality grain vodka will make a nice drink too.

makespacenow, Sep 21, 12:00am
25 lemons, 1.5l of vodka (min 40%), 5 cups of water, 4 cups of sugar.
Wash & dry lemons, remove the peel (avoid the pith). Place the peels in a 2.5 l glass jar add vodka. Seal. Leave in a cool dark plae until peels loose their colour (3months or so).
Place water and sugar in a pot and heat until it turns clear. Cool then pour into vodka. Put the jar back in the cupboard for at least a month. Straun and pour the liquid into another jar. Discard the peels. Stir then pour into bottles, seal and leave at least teo weeks.

willyow, Sep 21, 4:59am
You should add the seeds of a vanilla pod - I supply them to Sovrano in KeriKeri who have won lots of international awards for their limoncello

makespacenow, Sep 21, 7:28am
thanks. will try. Was just staring at all the lemons and windering lemon curd, few lemon meringue pies or what!
Another limonicello sounds well too.just need some more vodka!