Feijoa vodka recipe please

otterhound, Apr 6, 10:04am
A friend gave me a vague recipe ... a dozen or so feijoa skins in a jar, add about a cup of sugar dissolved in "some" water (guessing about a cup), then add 1.5 litres vodka and let stand for 4 or 5 days then strain into bottles.Does this sound feasible?Or can anyone improve on it?TIA=)

gardie, Apr 6, 6:12pm
42Below does Feijoa vodka.If you're going to spend the money on vodka anyway, why not just buy it already flavoured?

goldgurl, Apr 6, 9:03pm
Mmmm my MOST fav SUMMER drink is 42below feijoa YUMMY!!

otterhound, Apr 7, 6:14am
Cos I have a plethora of feijoas, and I like the idea of making my own.Besides, hers tasted great from her hip flask!

beaker59, Apr 7, 8:56am
That actually sounds like its worth trying otterhound I do my Lemoncello in a similar way and it comes out very nice. Try a half sized batch first as a trial.

pnlnj, Apr 7, 11:24pm
x1
This recipe is from the Feijoa Growers Association Recipe Book:

Feijoa Liqueur

Two thirds fill a large glass jar with ripe, peeled feijoas cut into rings. Add one cup of sugar. Fill the jar with Brandy or Vodka. Put on lid and stand the jar on a window ledge. Shake every day until sugar has dissolved, approx one week. Store in a cool dark place for at least three months. Then consume. The alcohol soaked fruit can be used for ice cream topping or with apples in a strudel.

mango5, Apr 8, 12:08am
yummy!!!

otterhound, Apr 8, 10:35am
Wow - that sounds like a winner!=)

crails, Apr 16, 3:34am
Made my first jar of this today, the jar size I used took about 300ml of vodka

murdoc4, Apr 20, 8:20am
Can you please tell me the actual size jar you used as I will try the recipe but want to get the ratio of sugar right. Is a large preserving jar too big and would I need extra sugar...please? Thanks

pnlnj, May 30, 2:59am
We used a spring top glass jar with a rubber seal which held approx 2 liters.

norse_westie, May 30, 4:14am
Wow, I must try the feijoa liquer as above. I had never tasted Lemoncello but had a heap of lemons so made some. Its still got 2 weeks to stand before drinking, but a tiny taste test = to die for. I bet the feijoa one would be even better!

lindylambchops1, May 30, 4:48am
PLETHORAis such a great word!

otterhound, May 31, 9:57am
And one so seldom has the chance to use it!=)

indy95, May 31, 10:02pm
Especially on the Recipes board. This has raised the tone considerably !

for_russia, Mar 27, 7:23am
Yum, I have just picked the first Feijoas from my garden... do you take the fruit out before storing it.. or leave it in till you drink it?