Lemon chutney/pickle recipe

frances1266, Sep 24, 5:16am
Someone post a recipe here recently for a lemon/chutney pickle recipe that had very good reviews.Anyone remember the recipe please.

unknowndisorder, Sep 24, 5:18am
Not sure if this is what you mean:

cpmpliments of buzzy
LEMON PICKLE
3 Lemons - washed and thinly sliced
1 small Onion -finely sliced
2 tspns Vegetable Oil
1 tspn Salt
1 tspn Chilli Flakes,
¾ cup Caster Sugar,
1 cup White Wine Vinegar
Method
1 Blanch lemons three times in pots of boiling water
2 In a heavy based pot on low heat, sweat the onions until transparent
3 Add chilli and cook for 3 minutes being careful not to let it brown
4 Add lemon, sugar and vinegar, bring to the boil and gently cook for 1/2 hour until syrupy
5 Pour into sterilised jars
6 Makes around 400-500 mls (I think)

buzzy110 (63 ) 5:45 pm, Mon 30 Aug #5

:

Quotejessie981 (56 ) 11:29 am, Thu 21 Apr #3
Processor Lemon Marmalade

500g lemons
1.5 cups water
660g sugar

Quarter lemons, discard seeds. Chop lemons finely in processor or blender. Place into deep dish with water, cook in microwave on HIGH 10 minutes or until lemon rind is tender. Stir in sugar, cook on HIGH 18 minutes or until jam jells when tested on cold saucer; stir occasionally during cooking. Stand 5 minutes before pouring into hot sterilised jars, seal when cold.

Makes about 2 cups

Edited by cookessentials at 11:31 am, Thu 21 Apr

Quotecookessentials (1198 ) 11:30 am, Thu 21 Apr #4
Thank you cookessentials and jessie981 for your fast help. Could I please have that peach and lemon chutney recipe too please

Quotedalkemade (150 ) 11:35 am, Thu 21 Apr #5
PEACH AND LEMON CHUTNEY
6 black peppercorns
4 small dried red chillies
2 cloves
1 cinnamon stick
750g pitted,chopped peaches
3 medium onions,chopped
2 cups soft brown sugar, firmly packed
2 cups malt vinegar
1 cup sultanas
3 tsp grated fresh ginger
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tsp grated lemon rind
1/4 cup lemon juice.

Tie peppercorns,chillies,cloves and cinnamon stick in a piece of muslin. Combine muslin bag, peaches, onions, sugar, vinegar,sultanas,ginger,garlic-
-
-
, rind and juice in a large saucepan. Stir over heat, without boiling until sugar is dissolved. Bring to boil, simmer, uncovered,stirring occasionally for about 1 1/2 hours or until mixture is thick. Discard muslin bag and pour into hot,sterilised jars; seal when cold. Makes about 4 cups.

Quotecookessentials (1198 ) 11:44 am, Thu 21 Apr #6
Quotejessie981 (56 ) 5:30 pm, Thu 21 Apr #10
Have you tried preserved lemons! Great for so many recipes. Just, top tail, quarter, layer with salt, squish in a sealable jar, tightly, top with lemon juice. leave for 3 weeks min. Top up as used with oil. Should last chilled and sealed in fridge about 2-3 years. Flavour only increases. A base for many recipes.

Quotechinju (416 )

buzzy110, Sep 24, 5:24am
As much as I would like to take the credit for the lemon pickle recipe, it was actually first posted by evorotorua and I'd like to ensure she gets any credit that may be going.

bev00, Dec 18, 8:35am
LEMON CHUTNEY
600gms lemons (Meyer if possibel)
1 cup white vinegar
2 cups finely diced onion
2 tabs finely chopped garlic
1 fresh chilli, finely chopped (seeds optional)
2 tsps cinnamon
8 whole cloves
2 whole star anise
3 cups brown sugar
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

cut the lemons into thin wedges, slice off the pith at the end of each wedge and remove all the pips. Place in a havey-based saucepan and just cover with water. Place on high heat and bring to the boil. Lower the heat to a simmer, place a lid on and cook on low for 1-1/2 hours. check from time to time and add more water if necessary. there should be about 1 cup of liquid left after 1-1/2 hours.
Add the remaining ingredients and simmer slowly until the mixture thickens to the consistency of jam or chutney (about an hour or so). Remove and store in a couple of jars. You can halve this recipe, but I assure you, you'll find plenty of uses for this interesting condiment (it will keep for at least 4 months, refrigerated

pickles7, Dec 18, 9:01am
Microwaved lemon marmalade.

4 Meyer lemons.= 1 pound, or, 454.54 Grams
1 & 3/4 cups of sugar.

remove the pips from the lemons carefully.
Whizz up the lemons with the sugar, until they are a fine to medium, mush.
Put it into a heavy microwave dish.
Microwave on high for 5 minutes, stir.
Microwave for another 5 minutes, stir.
Microwave for 2 more minutes.

Mine set very well made 1 & 1/4, jars.

books4nz, Dec 18, 9:59am
Lemon Pickle

3 lemons (washed and thinly sliced)
1 small onion (finely sliced)
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon of salt
1 teaspoon chilli flakes
3/4 cup caster sugar
1 cup white wine vinegar or spiced vinegar.

Blanch lemons three times in pots of boiling water.

In a heavy based pot on a low heat, sweat the onions until transparent.

Add chilli and cook for 3 mins, being careful not to let it brown.

Add lemon, sugar and vinegar, bring to the boil and gently cook for 1/2 hour or until syrupy.

Pour into sterilised jars.

Gorgeous with a selection of cheddar cheese, pickled onions and bread and butter pickles!"

Hi nfh1 and buzzy110. Those are my notes to go with the recipe. I am pleased you are enjoying it. I love it with some tasty cheese. I don't 'cool' the lemons between blanching but rather just pour the whole lot through a colander with the water going down the sink. Put the 'pulp' back into the pot, cover with cold water and bring it back to the boil. Last time I made this, I didn't have any chilli flakes so I used a little bit of cayenne instead. Be careful with that as it can be very hot but nice too. It just lacks the nice colour contrast the flakes give it.

evorotorua (81 )8:10 pm, Tue 5 Oct #5