Pankakes without baking powder!?

gingyninja, Sep 8, 1:08am
Anyone got a recipie for some! I have baking soda.!
Help!

245sam, Sep 8, 1:27am
gingyninja, do you have cream of tartar!
I no longer have any baking powder in the house and instead I use cream of tartar + baking soda.
For every teaspoon of baking powder substitute 1 tsp cream of tartar + ½ tsp baking soda, always keeping the cream of tartar and the baking soda in those proportions.

Hope that helps.:-))

lodgelocum, Sep 8, 1:31am
Yes, I only use cream of tartar into pancakes, pikelets etc.

kiwitrish, Sep 8, 1:45am
Here is the recipe I use.

Pancakes
100 g (4 oz)Plain Flour
pinchsalt
1 mediumegg
300 ml (½ pint)milk (or milk and water)

1Mix flour and salt in a basin, make a hollow in the centre and drop in egg.
2Stir with a wooden spoon and add liquid gradually, until all the flour is worked in.
3Beat well and add remaining liquid.
N.B. The consistency should be like single cream.

village.green, Sep 8, 3:07am
Pancakes don't actually have any raising agent in them. Should be flour, salt, egg and milk.
Pikelets do though.
Apologies if I got the wrong end of the stick.

malcovy, Sep 8, 4:53am
Pancakes do have raising agent in them, it's crepes that don't.

jhan, Sep 8, 5:22am
We call them pancakes as well as opposed to piklets which have the baking powder in them. We serve them with lemon and sugar.

dip_smith, Sep 8, 7:41am
Don't mind which, just got golden suryp i want to use up!

kuaka, Sep 8, 11:33am
My pancakes don't have any baking powder in them, they are just slightly thicker crepes really, or crepes are just very thin pancakes whichever way you want to look at it

norse_westie, Sep 8, 8:44pm
I make mine without, but yes, they are crepes. We like them sprinkled with sugar, with lots of lemon squeezed over them and rolled up to eat. My kids look at pancakes like they someone just made oversized pikelets now.

(I do tend to put in more egg though, as the slightly eggy taste makes crepes even nicer).

macandrosie, Sep 8, 9:41pm
Cream of tartar is quite espensive though compared to baking powder, why don't people like using it! is it not really good for you health wise!

eastie3, Sep 9, 3:55am
I'm also interested in the reason for using CoT.Is it taste or texture or something else!

craig04, Sep 9, 7:35am
This is a recipe that Queen Elizabeth apparently made for US president Eisenhower back in the day - it makes lovely light fluffy pancakes

Queen Elizabeth's Drop Scones (also known as Scotch Pancakes)

• Prep time: 10 minutes
• Cook time: 15 minutes

INGREDIENTS
• 3 cups (400 g) all-purpose flour
• 2 teaspoons baking soda
• 3 teaspoons cream of tartar
• 1/4 teaspoon salt**
• 2 eggs
• 1/4 cup of superfine sugar, or a heaping 1/4 cup white, granulated sugar
• 1 1/2 cup (350 ml) of whole milk (and maybe a little more if needed)
• 2 tablespoons butter, melted
**If using salted butter, skip the added salt.

METHOD
1 Whisk together the flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt in a large bowl.
2 In a separate medium sized bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugar. Then whisk in most of the milk.
3 Make a well in the middle of the flour and pour in the milk egg mixture. Whisk until smooth, adding more milk until you get the right consistency - thin enough to spread on the pan, but not so thin as to run. Fold in the melted butter.
4 Heat a griddle or large cast iron pan on medium to medium low heat. Coat the pan with a little butter, spreading it with a folded over paper towel. Drop large spoonfuls of batter on the griddle to form pancakes. When bubbles start to appear on the surface (after 2 to 3 minutes), use a spatula to flip the pancakes over. Cook for another minute, until lightly browned. Remove to a plate and cover with a clean tea towel to keep warm while you cook the rest of the drop scones.
Serve with butter, jam, or golden syrup

malcovy, Sep 9, 8:12am
Using baking soda and cream of tartar there is a lightness to the finished product.Also the taste of them used together is far superior to baking powder.

sarahb5, Sep 10, 4:03am
Scotch pancakes or drop scones are what we call pikelets here.Pikelets in the UK are what are called crumpets here.And what some people here call crepes are definitely called pancakes in the UK and Holland - and they don't have any raising agent in them.Yummy with sugar and lemon on Pancake Day (Shrove Tuesday) or any other day really.