No Baking powder, can I use.

garfeild101, Feb 26, 12:16am
Baking soda mixed with lemon juice.read it sumwhere and if so the qty.i need 1 1/2tsp, i dont have cream of tartar.im making a orange cake

zappi, Feb 26, 1:35am
I used the other day baking soda and a little vinegar and it turned out ok.I didn't have the cream of tartar to mix with baking soda.Give it a try.

zappi, Feb 26, 1:36am
I have a banana cake recipe where you warm a little milk and add baking soda.It froths up.I would guess this could be worth a try also.

lythande1, Feb 26, 1:38am
Potassium bitartrate crystallizes in wine casks during the fermentation of grape juice, and can precipitate out of wine in bottles. The crystals (wine diamonds) will often form on the underside of a cork in wine-filled bottles that have been stored at temperatures below 10 °C (50 °F), and will seldom, if ever, dissolve naturally into the wine.

As a substitute for cream of tartar, other acidic ingredients work well. Lemon juice and vinegar are the best acidic substitutes for cream of tartar. When using lemon juice or vinegar for a substitute for cream of tartar in baking, the increase in fluid may cause you to adjust the fluids in your recipe. In addition, you need to adjust the level of the substitute you use. For every ½ tsp of cream of tartar called for in the recipe, substitute it with 1½ tsp of lemon juice or vinegar.