New World Lemon Birthday Cake Recipe

blossombunnies, Aug 12, 9:56pm
Hi :)

Does anyone have this recipe! It was in there catalog a few months back when it was there birthday. I lost my copy and really liked it.

Thanks

auntlb, Aug 12, 10:11pm
You may find the one you are after here:

http://www.newworld.co.nz/search!search=lemon+cake

there are a few cakes listed

blossombunnies, Aug 12, 10:12pm
Thanks auntlb, Ive already had a look there to no luck

diamond-fan, Aug 12, 11:36pm
This is the one you are looking for - I kept the page from the catalogue, but haven't made it yet.
220g Butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 eggs
3 tablespoons fresh lemon zest
3 cups sifted flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 cups sour cream
1/4 cup milk

Method: Preheat oven to 170 C. In a large bowl beat together butter & sugar until pale & creamy.
Beat eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Lastly,blend in lemon zest.
Combine dry ingredients in a separate bowl (flour, baking powder & baking soda). In a third bowl beat together sour cream & milk. Add flour mixture to the creamed butter mixture, alternatively with sour cream mixture, adding each in three additions.
Fold each addition gently but thoroughly. Pour into a lined 26cm round cake pan. Bake for 30 - 35 mins.
Prepare the icing by blending 250g of softened cream cheese, 125g of softened butter, 500g icing sugar, juice and zest of 1 lemon, until smooth.
Evenly spread on the middle sides and top of cake.
Sprinkle with additional lemon zest to decorate, if desired.

I would love to know how it turns out.

blossombunnies, Aug 13, 12:18am
Oooooo Thank you soooo much! I made this cake and it was delicious, really light and a lovely taste too, that's why I was sad i lost the recipe because it was a beautiful cake. I recommend making it :)

griffo4, Aug 14, 8:15am
l only have plain yoghurt can l use that instead of sour cream as l am not going to town for a few days!

indy95, Aug 14, 10:44pm
Yes griffo you can use yoghurt. This recipe makes a lovely cake as blossombunnies (great name) said.

griffo4, Aug 15, 12:07am
Thanks indy for that l thought it would l was a bit tired last night and the brain was not working ;-)

dixiechicks, Aug 15, 12:26am
Thanks for posting the question and the recipe girls.There's a bakery in Welly that makes this cake, I love it, and may never have to buy it again.

griffo4, Aug 16, 8:18am
l made it tonight with yoghurt but it tastes a bit doughy on the first bite but l will leave it till tomorrow then taste it again
but happy with it and will eat it without the icing
Thanks for posting

firemansgirl, Aug 16, 8:44am
This is another great lemon cake, I make it every other week for the lads at work. Last time I had no plain yoghurt so made it with Piako passionfruit yoghurt and O.M.G. gorgeous!

Lemon Yoghurt Cake

Zest of 2 big lemons. Beat this with:
1 cup oil (I use rice bran but any cooking oil is fine)
2 eggs
1 3/4 cups sugar
Add 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup yoghurt (plain)
3 tablespoons lemon juice

2 cups of flour & 2 tsp baking powder
Bake at 180°c for 40-60 mins or until cooked. I use a 23cm square, oiled tin (Lined with baking paper works fine)

griffo4, Aug 21, 8:32am
firemansgirl l have just made your recipe and it smells very nice and l am looking forward to tasting it tomorrow and l used the paiko passionfruit yoghurt and the batter tasted very nice

firemansgirl, Aug 21, 9:50am
Oooh yes please do tell me what you think of it. The guys at work just get it 'as is'. I bake it in a square tin for them so it goes further. When making it for the girls, it gets done in a round tin, cut nicely into wedges, and when we're naughty, a nice dollop of whipped cream on the side!

griffo4, Aug 21, 11:26pm
firemansgirl that is so nice and moist and doesn't need any icing it is perfect on its own
Thanks for sharing