Help...decorating birthday cake

Page 1 / 2
niclee, Mar 17, 8:18pm
Hi am making my daughter a cat birthday cake (never done anything quite like it),, I have to make 2 cakes and join together just wondering how you join cakes (and tail etc) onto the main cake. also what would be best icing to use as it needs to cover a larger area and be very spreadable as well as yummy...thanks for your help

nzl99, Mar 17, 8:21pm
I'd stick them together with a little buttercream icing.When it's room temp it will be spreadable... and you will be able to pipe with it... but will firm up in the fridge..

niclee, Mar 17, 8:28pm
thanks, whats buttercream icing? I really dont make many cakes as you can tell lol...

nzl99, Mar 17, 8:32pm
This sort of icing here... I would use google and find one which suits you though. :-)

http://www.kiwiwise.co.nz/recipe/buttercream-icing

nzl99, Mar 17, 8:34pm
But once on the cake, I would keep it in the fridge as it is made with butter... will soften in too much heat, :-P

niclee, Mar 17, 8:39pm
thanks for your help, will try it and at least icing will be yummy even if it cat is not recognizable ..lol

dbab, Mar 17, 10:20pm
Wow nzl99,
That's a very cool site.

nzl99, Mar 17, 10:26pm
I'm sure it will be awesome!Kids love cakes covered in icing, even if they don't really resemble the asked for shape. :P

My girl turns 11 next weekend and asked for icing.No cake.Just icing.*sighs*She will be getting a cake... hahaha errr... not sure what shape though... bugger forgot about that!I don't really fancy trying to make Justin Beiber...

kiwipossum, Mar 18, 3:26am
just an idea for you,a great way to decorate 'furry' animal cakes is to colour coconut its really easy and looks awesome you could do black or ginger just pop some coconut into a large snap lock bag add a few drops of food colouring them rub through a little goes a long way:)

sara134, Mar 18, 5:09am
I would use buttercream to put the cakes together and even to decorate it or there is always the option of fondant?

sara134, Mar 18, 5:11am
this buttercream icing is great , Its the one i use normally

kinna54, Mar 18, 5:14am
you can also stick the 2 cakes together with sieved apricot jam, and then simply ice the whole thing with your butter icing. good luck.

roseann48, Mar 18, 7:11am
trace a picture of a cat (coloring books often have large clear pictures) & cut it out. Place on cake & cut around it. No need to join ears, tail etc. Join cake with butter icing & use same icing to decorate. Good luck

kiwi_jen, Mar 18, 7:18am
I second this, I've made a few awesome looking cakes this way and its super easy!Just make the cake in a roasting dish sized tin.

sclaredy_cat, Mar 18, 7:52am
And the best thing about doing it this way is that you can make cake balls with all the leftover cake, crumbled up and and mixed with icing, my kids love them!

firemansgirl, Mar 18, 9:01am
I was looking for a cat cake mould on here the other day, what I actually did find were cat shaped cookie cutters, so cute. You could make her cookies as well and ice them..... they are listed under the member ambo111. I think the cat head ones are just lovely.

niclee, Mar 18, 8:18pm
Hi am making my daughter a cat birthday cake (never done anything quite like it),, I have to make 2 cakes and join together just wondering how you join cakes (and tail etc) onto the main cake. also what would be best icing to use as it needs to cover a larger area and be very spreadable as well as yummy.thanks for your help

nzl99, Mar 18, 8:21pm
I'd stick them together with a little buttercream icing.When it's room temp it will be spreadable. and you will be able to pipe with it. but will firm up in the fridge.

niclee, Mar 18, 8:28pm
thanks, whats buttercream icing! I really dont make many cakes as you can tell lol.

nzl99, Mar 18, 8:32pm
This sort of icing here. I would use google and find one which suits you though. :-)

nzl99, Mar 18, 8:34pm
But once on the cake, I would keep it in the fridge as it is made with butter. will soften in too much heat, :-P

niclee, Mar 18, 8:39pm
thanks for your help, will try it and at least icing will be yummy even if it cat is not recognizable .lol

dbab, Mar 18, 10:20pm
Wow nzl99,
That's a very cool site.

nzl99, Mar 18, 10:26pm
I'm sure it will be awesome!Kids love cakes covered in icing, even if they don't really resemble the asked for shape. :P

My girl turns 11 next weekend and asked for icing.No cake.Just icing.*sighs*She will be getting a cake. hahaha errr. not sure what shape though. bugger forgot about that!I don't really fancy trying to make Justin Beiber.

kiwipossum, Mar 19, 3:26am
just an idea for you,a great way to decorate 'furry' animal cakes is to colour coconut its really easy and looks awesome you could do black or ginger just pop some coconut into a large snap lock bag add a few drops of food colouring them rub through a little goes a long way:)