Need to make a gorgeous easy birthday cake for my

amanda_simonp, Jan 5, 10:05pm
daughter tomorrow - it needs to look pretty as doing her a tea party as well - anyone any ideas?
'Thank you.

rosathemad, Jan 5, 10:17pm
I would do cupcakes for a tea party - or would she have to have a big one to cut? How old is she?

amanda_simonp, Jan 5, 11:57pm
I have got the girls decorating cupcakes - I thought about doing a cupcake cake but no she doesn't want that = she wants a cake.Thanks for your help.

melissarosenz, Jan 6, 12:31am
I would just make a chocolate cake (or any other basic cake that she likes) and decorate it with different coloured icing.

I made a chocolate cake, cut it into the shape of a big heart.Then covered with raspberry jam, and royal icing which I coloured with food colouring (a drop or two of red to make it pink).

I used left over pink icing, added a drop of blue food colouring, kneaded it in, and then rolled it out and cut little hearts out, and used that to decorate the cake.

It was very easy, it looked pretty and it's very 'girly'.

lost-in-oz, Jan 6, 2:03am
http://www.bestrecipes.com.au/recipe/Easy-Mix-Butter-Cake-L497.html

When I've mixed the cake,I use 3 tablespoons of raspberry jam and swirl it through the mixture and bake as normal.Makes a lovely moist cake and looks awesome.

fastlanenz, Jan 7, 3:18am
I find the Edmond's One Egg Chocolate Sponge very reliable and easy.Everyone loves it.An effective and easy decoration for a cake is to choose a photo of your daughter and sit it on the icing - photo centered on the top of the cake.Then make a "frame" with assorted lollies, eg jubes, strawberry hearts, and place them firstly around the photo in a pattern, then cover the rest of the icing.Choose lollies of roughly the same height for best effect - it can end up looking like a photo in a mosaic frame, and the kids help, lots of fun.We've done this as birthday cakes for teachers, family and kids .. always a big hit.