The fat in mince.

Page 2 / 2
wildflower, Aug 21, 2:51am
Ditto to mincing it myself.We have a mincer older than me (I'm 30+) and I buy rump, topside etc, trim the fat off completely and mince.No guilt over eating the stuff then and it's so versatile.

kuaka, Aug 21, 5:21am
I rarely buy mince, but yesterday I wanted a small portion for the cat, but was told they couldn't sell me a small portion as it doesn't have a "price per kilo" - it's just done up in 500g packs at $7.50 or $9 - when I pointed out that surely that's $15 and $18 kg the chap just shrugged and said he couldn't do it - more like couldn't be bothered.

toadfish, Aug 21, 8:43am
http://shop.countdown.co.nz/#url=/Shop/ProductDetails%3FStockcode%3D324266%26name%3Dbutchery-beef-mince-prime-minimum-1kg-pack%26search%3Dmince

The countdown flyer I got in the mail today say they have the premium mince for $10.95 Kg this week, And I checked the online flyer - Paihia has the same special - thats a great price - time to buy it.

I know you don't like your local countdown but in a way you a lucky you have a major chain that has to stay in line with the other stores. I frequently shop at countdown as its convenient, and if I play the specials i don't feel it works out too bad.

1 kg of mince makes me either (all choices serve 4 adults)
2 x cottage pies or
2 x Lasagnes or
8 hamburger patties. or
2 x chilli con carne meals .
I think thats great value from Countdown as it works out at $5.50 for the meat portion of the meal for 4 adults.

mrsscubasteve, Aug 21, 8:44am
I cook (boil) my mince in water, it gets rid of the fat and it tastes alot nicer.

sarahb5, Aug 21, 9:24pm
Whenever I've drained off the fat from mince I have found the mince dry and tasteless so now I just buy the premium mince and don't have the problem of too much fat in it.

atlantean04, Aug 21, 11:13pm
I cook mince in a pan, then put it through a sieve and run boiling water over it to get rid of all the fat, then clean the pan before putting the mince back in

rainrain1, Aug 22, 12:53am
good grief, now that's kind of over the top funny

sarahb5, Aug 22, 1:15am
And I would think the boiling water drains off most of the flavour as well as most of the fat

rainrain1, Aug 22, 1:21am
might as well eat dirt i reckon

wildflower, Aug 22, 3:50am
Any flavour left after that!

I often find that straight meat is cheaper than mince.Today I bought Topside for $9.99kg, barely any fat on it to trim off.You don't get premium beef mince for that usually and only takes a few minutes to put through the mincer.

nauru, Aug 22, 3:59am
I prefer to mince my own too, buying lean cuts of meat on special.This way you are left with lean mince and you know exactly what is in your mince too. As we try to cut down on our red meat intake I always add brown lentils whenever I'm cooking with mince.

wildflower, Aug 22, 5:04am
I love red kidney beans with everything:)

Have used red lentils lately though, they're really high in protein and great as a curry.