Cheesecake baked or not baked

toeblister, Aug 24, 7:46pm
Why are some cheesecakes baked and others not!Is the texture different!I want to make a Raspberry & White Chocolate cheesecake and most recipes call for it to be baked.Bit unsure, never baked a cheesecake before.Any advice much appreciated.

rainrain1, Aug 24, 7:56pm
They do have a different taste and texture, not as sweet, and no where near as nice as an unbaked cheesecake, but that is my opinion only.I love cheesecake but don't like them at all baked.

dezzie, Aug 24, 8:04pm
lol, I like them better baked.I reckon the unbaked ones are a bit like instant pudding in a shell.

kiwitrish, Aug 24, 8:24pm
Same here.

toeblister, Aug 24, 8:45pm
2 verses 1 .going to stick with unbaked, but I do appreciate all your feedback :)

annie.nz, Aug 24, 8:45pm
Another vote for baked - looks like toeblister might have to try both to see what she likes best!

toeblister, Aug 24, 8:52pm
Gee thanks annie.confused now ;)Trust me to check back in.lol

amazing_grace, Aug 24, 8:53pm
OMG I love baked cheesecake.The other stuff just doesnt cut the mustard.The texture of unbaked ones puts me off, often have clumps of cottage cheese in (blerk) and not as "unctuous" (not sure if thats how you spell!)

cookessentials, Aug 24, 9:02pm
I much prefer a baked cheesecake. I dont really like the cold gelatine based one. A baked one is more dense IMO

angel404, Aug 24, 10:08pm
I love unbaked cheesecake - i make it with a tin of sweetened condensed mik and whatever flavour yoghurt thickened with gelatine. SO devine.

245sam, Aug 24, 10:38pm
toeblister, to answer those questions - some cheesecakes are baked because their setting agent is eggs, while the setting agent for unbaked cheesecakes is generally, gelatine.
Yes the texture is different - IMO the baked cheesecakes have a more dense texture while the unbaked cheesecakes tend to have a fluffier consistency because there are usually beaten egg whites and/or whipped cream folded into the prepared mixture.A properly and carefully made unbaked cheesecake should be smooth and not have any evident lumps of cottage cheese, cream cheese, gelatine, etc.
I enjoy eating either baked or unbaked cheesecakes, although my preference would probably be unbaked, but that is what I make so is obviously what we usually have and enjoy.:-))

245sam, Aug 24, 10:44pm
toeblister, if you're still wanting an unbaked option for a Raspberry and White Chocolate Cheesecake you might like to consider this one - it's from one of our surburban newspapers and personally untried.

WHITE CHOCOLATE AND BERRY CHEESECAKE
185g plain sweet biscuits, crushed
90g butter, melted
100g Nestle white melts
¼ cup water
4 tsp gelatine
500g cream cheese, softened
1 x 395g can sweetened condensed milk
1 x 300ml carton cream
150g raspberries, pureed

Combine the biscuits and butter, then press the mixture into the base of a 23cm springform pan, refrigerate until firm.
Melt the White Melts, then set them aside to cool.
Place the water in a small bowl and sprinkle over the gelatine.Place the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water and stir until dissolved.Allow to cool slightly.
Beat the cream cheese and sweetened condensed milk until smooth, then beat in the cream.Beat the chocolate and gelatine into the cream cheese mixture, then spoon the mixture evenly over the biscuit crust.Swirl the raspberry puree through the cheesecake mixture.Refrigerate for 3-4 hours or until set.

Hope that helps.:-))

nzhel, Aug 24, 11:22pm
Unbaked for me too and with the price of power these days it saves adding to the powerbill not having to put the oven on! I must say I've never had 'clumps of cottage cheese' in mine - all of my recipes are made with cream cheese and are always very smooth in texture. I'm not so keen on the texture of baked cheesecakes - so I suppose each to their own!

toeblister, Aug 24, 11:32pm
You guys are fantastic.I have really enjoyed reading your comments.To 245sam thank you so much for explaining the difference.I am going to try your unbaked recipe today, really doappreciatesupplying me with one.Latert his week I am going to try a baked Cheesecake.I shall report back. :):)

norse_westie, Aug 24, 11:50pm
I love all cheescake except chocolate ones. However baked has a velvety texture that feels so much more refined and upper class to me. Just my opinion though.

kiwibubbles, Aug 25, 11:24am
urgh (gag* i HATE baked cheese cake (its the texture) and i hate any chocolate flavoured cheesecakes. i like cheesecakes that set in the fridge and are berry or citrus flavorured lol

kay141, Aug 25, 9:15pm
I'm not a great sweet eater but do prefer baked. So many of the others seem to be just too sweet.

rainrain1, Aug 25, 9:32pm
LOL at upper classwoo hoo

dons14, Aug 25, 9:43pm
I love baked cheesecake so so good. Never eat the unbaked variety - too sweet and seems slimey to me.

wheelz, Aug 25, 10:59pm
depends on the recipes I guess, my cheesecakes are never sickly sweet, won't use condensed milk in mine, but cream cheese and sour cream , and usually a citrus or in summer, strawberry. Always put in less sugar and make a topping as well. They always turn out creamy and delicious.

gardie, Aug 26, 1:12am
For years I've made an unbaked cheesecake for our Christmas day and special occasions.I decided to try a baked one for a change but was so dissapointed in the lack of flavour.The uncooked mix was beautiful but all the flavour baked out of it.Baked cheesecakes also use a lot more cream cheese (hence the denseness, I guess) but I personally will never be making one again.Back to the Kahlua Cheesecake for me.

wildflower, Aug 26, 3:26am
I've never done a baked cheesecake so can't comment on the taste of those, love unbaked though, especially boysenberry.Never tried chocolate etc ones, they sound like they'd be very rich.I have some recipes for them but have never made yet.

kinna54, Aug 26, 4:58am
I like both, but not the ones that have the jellied topping.
Love the caramel choc toffee pop uncooked one, but like the flavour of the Italian baked cheesecake. *See posting on here last month or so * it is an oldie but lovely for those without a really sweet tooth.
Then just to be contrary I also like a cheesecake with a baked base and the chilled filling.
Lets face it. I love desserts!

kay141, Aug 26, 5:14am
Maybe that is my problem. I lke very few desserts but brandy snaps or custard are top of the list.