Marmalade making dramas

griffo4, Aug 27, 8:04am
Yesterday l made my first lot of marmalade in my heavy bottom pot
l boiled it till soft like normal then added sugar and brought back to boil and no amount of boiling would it set so l gave up and bottled it anyway

l cut up another lot last night and left it sit in water again and made it up today and used the same pot and no amount of boiling would it set again then l remembered my skinny bottomed pot l use to make jam and put the marmalade in and got the brisk boil and low and behold my jam set

Tonight l got all the first batch out and put it in skinny bottomed pot and put on stove turned on high and at the same time started heating the 5lambs milk annndddd burnt the marmalade on the bottom of the pot so have spent the last half hour scrapping it off and will have to start again tomorrow
l am so angry with my self for not watching it more closely but found that the heavy bottomed pot doesn't brisk boil like the skinny one
How is everyone else going with their marmalade making!

bisel, Aug 27, 10:47am
sympathises

griffo4, Aug 27, 10:49pm
Thanks off to go and pick some more and try again they say practise makes perfect

lulu239, Aug 27, 11:07pm
I have made about 60 jars of marmalade this year - all orange marmalade.
Daughter came around with jars, fruit and sugar! There was so much fruit I had to keep on going. Warm fuzzy feeling!

susieq9, Aug 28, 12:20am
Just a small tip when boiling jam. My mum always used about 6 marbles in the pot when making jam, this prevented it from sticking to the bottom. This may help next time! I have done this also and to date, no sticking. Good luck.

annie.nz, Aug 28, 12:22am
Oh god.

Mine's all made, just finished, though 20 fewer jars than usual.

buzzy110, Aug 28, 12:29am
Have still got masses from last year so I'm just experimenting this year. Someone asked for a marmalade recipe suitable for diabetics. I did some research, discovered that there really isn't anything that fits the bill if you don't want to use Splenda.Powdered splenda has a nutritive filler anyway so isn't suitable for diabetics, even though it is promoted as suitable.Therefore I have created a recipe using adaptations from all of the recipesI have read and am currently trialling it. Won't be made until tomorrow night. One batch will have to turn out suitable, I hope.

griffo4, Aug 28, 2:19am
My grapefruit are just ripening now and the lemon tree is loaded so will look at preserving some lemons as well

madmacduff, Aug 29, 10:26am
I burnt my first batch of marmalade I cover the burnt pot with bleach and soak overnightclean pot in the morning works with any burnt pot but scrape the excess off first with a spoon

kaddiew, Aug 29, 10:51am
Made a batch of grapefruit marmalade today - in the electric frypan. The gas bottle for the hob ran out just after I'd added the sugar, there was too much to do in the microwave, so I stuck it into my large rectangular frypan in 2 batches. It setup really quickly, as it was spread over a wide surface, and for once is the perfect consistency.

griffo4, Aug 29, 10:04pm
l made another batch yesterday and it turned out great so happy about that and also did some preserved lemons so a good day